Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

turning on comp goes to phoenix bios page, says mouse initialized-cont

• Please log in to reply

taking

taking

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a windows xp desktop that will not work. when i turn the comp on, it acts normal and shows the Emachine page and then beeps twice and goes immediately to a Phoenix Bios page, which is black and white. further down the page, it says.. mouse initialized-controller card ERROR and 02BO:Diskette drive A error. at the page bottem, it gives options of press DEL to set up and F1 to resumer. the F1 keys allows me to perform a system restore, which appears to all load successfully but the comp went right back to the black and white phoenix bios page showing the 2 errors. wheni press the tower button to turn it off, which normally takes several secondds to do, it turns off immediately, when the button is pushed. our comp is at least 8 yrs old with not much memory left.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

I am not sure what you mean by this

our comp is at least 8 yrs old with not much memory left.

Memory is ram, it does not decrease. Whatever was there at first is there now, except for the unlikely circumstance that a stick of ram has gone bad.

Do you actually mean with not much free space left on the hard drive.
On the BIOS page, it will turn off immediately as there is no system as such to shut down.

On the first load of the BIOS, keep pressing F8 and see if you access a Safe Mode boot.

taking

taking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thank you for the reply and idea. when i hit the F8 from the Bios page, it did not take me into safe mode as it normally would. it actually went to a blue page and basically was now the beginning that it would be at from doing a system restore. so it definately is working and i am in the process now of setting up security, etc and will get all updates before using the comp at all. i will let you know if i run into any problems from here on out. thank you again!!
oh, yes i was suppose to say free space left, not memory. i am not computer smart much at all. lol

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for posting back.
Good luck with it.
F8 does not take you direct to Safe Mode, it takes you to advanced boot options which are Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, VGA mode, Last KNown Good Configuration etc. On some computers the options include a Recovery option etc.
Presumably this is what you have.
All the best let us know how you go on.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 June 2011 - 11:06 AM.

taking

taking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i guess this isnt all fixed yet..when i reboot or plainly turn the comp on, it DOES go right back to the black and white error page. i hit the F1, which is resume, and then everything runs normally. how do i fix that?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When it does load windows, check that the time and date are correct.
If they are not, set them as correct and then after you shut down as normal and left overnight, when you then boot if the time and date are then incorrect again. it is a flat CMOS battery.
This could be the cause of the error as the BIOS is failing to keep its settings.

However to cover another possibility, do this please irrespective of that result above. when Windows is loaded go Start, run and type
cmd
in the window that opens type
chkdsk C: /r

this presumes that Windows is on C drive. It usually is. and note space between chkdsk and C: and that and the /r.

Agree to run on restart and do so.
When complete and computer restarted go Control Panel, Administrative tools, event viewer, click application in left pane and in the main window scroll to the top listed winlogon, double click that entry and check it is the chkdsk results..
Left click once on the double page symbol, below the up and down arrows and then on your posted reply, righyt click and paste the chkdsk results.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 June 2011 - 11:47 AM.

taking

taking

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 6/28/2011
Time: 6:21:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-1RNFG39627
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 8 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 8 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 8 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

39078080 KB total disk space.
10291748 KB in 81448 files.
25360 KB in 6874 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
158580 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
28602388 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9769520 total allocation units on disk.
7150597 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
20 5b 01 00 0e 59 01 00 e8 d6 01 00 00 00 00 00 [...Y..........
74 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 de 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 t...............
8e 44 33 04 00 00 00 00 b0 df 1e 5b 00 00 00 00 .D3........[....
26 7a 59 24 00 00 00 00 88 60 eb dd 02 00 00 00 &zY$.....`......
28 df ee 4c 03 00 00 00 6e 7b e0 b6 06 00 00 00 (..L....n{......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 00 39 07 00 28 3e 01 00 ..6......9..(>..
00 00 00 00 00 90 28 74 02 00 00 00 da 1a 00 00 ......(t........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The HDD has bad sectors
4 KB in bad sectors.

That is prime evidence of a failing hard disk.
I would recommend you start thinking about a new hard drive.

When it does load windows, check that the time and date are correct.
If they are not, set them as correct and then after you shut down as normal and left overnight, when you then boot if the time and date are then incorrect again. it is a flat CMOS battery.
This could be the cause of the error as the BIOS is failing to keep its settings

Please answer the question

Go start, right click My Computer, click properties, click hardware tab on the window that opens then click the device manager button, are there any warnings against any devices.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 June 2011 - 08:59 AM.