Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

CD/DVD Drive Error

• Please log in to reply

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hello,

My parents' have Windows XP on their desktop and my mom noticed today the CD/DVD drive would not recognize burned CDs even though they play fine in the CD player she has. I asked her to try playing a CD she had bought from the store. The songs show up and play in Windows Media Player but when I go to My Computer and double-click the CD/DVD drive I get the error:

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

I am lost as to what to do now. I tried searching the error online for possible solutions but had no success. I am also wondering if this error issue is somehow connected to the inability to recognize burned CDs.

Thanks!

P.S. I did post this in the Application Forum but haven't gotten any response, I apologize for the double post.

Advertisement

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,297 posts
Open Control Panel then System.
Click on the Autoplay tab.

At the top you will see a drop down with choices like Music, Pictures, Video files, etc.
Select Music then click the Select an action to perform button.
Selct Play using Windows Media Player.
Make sure Prompt me is not checked then click Apply and OK.

Now try putting a musc CD in the drive. See if it works as it should.

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thank you for the suggestions!

I went to Control Panel and then to System but unfortunately there is no Autoplay tab.

I did go to the E:/ properties and made sure autoplay was on and the error is gone now but it still will not recognize burned CDs.

When there is a boughten CD in the drive and I try to play it from My Computer, I still get the error. The settings are set to autoplay in Windows Media Player but it does not play when I put the CD in the drive.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,297 posts
You are missing the Autoplay tab? Strange, mine looks like this:

Posted Image

Read here, see if this helps: Shell Hardware Detection service

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I do find that when I go to the CD/DVD drive properties.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,297 posts
My fault, my initial instructions were wrong.

So if you select Music and set WMP as the default action it still doesn't work?

Also, you say not that purchased CDs don't work where initially you said burned CDs don't work.

Is this true if you insert a CD rather than try to open it from Windows Explorer? If so, what do you see in the context menu when you right click on the CD/DVD drive? What is the highlighted action?

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I meant purchased and burned CDs will not automatically play even though the settings instruct CDs to automatically play in WMP when the CD is inserted. So yes, the default setting does not work and nothing happens when inserting either type of CD, though with a purchased CD, the drive recognizes there is a Audio CD in the drive.

When right-clicking the drive (with the purchased CD inserted) "Play" is highlighted but I get the error when I try to double-click the icon. When there is a burned CD in the drive, the drive says it is empty, I can double-click the icon without an error, and when I right-click the icon, "Open" is highlighted.

Hope this was clearer.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,297 posts
I just read that AutoPlay in XP has been disabled for CD and Flash drives by Windows Update. This is the default for Windows 7. It was done to try to stop one means of malware propagation via AutoRun.

It should still work if you right click and select Play (I think). Not sure what double clicking will do. I'll try this with Windows 7 XP Mode which has all the latest patches applied and see what it does. Will report back later.

skigirl1689

skigirl1689

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Is there any solution to the issue of the drive not recognizing the burned CDs?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 6,297 posts
I would suggest trying different manufacturers. I've had good luck with TDK and Memorex. Also, when possible, burn at a slower speed and make sure the disc is closed.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if they burned the data using incd or similar packet writing software like windows drag and drop usually the computer that burned it can read it but others may or may not be able to see the data...its about how the data was originally burned...
ISO File System versus UDF File System
for the rest of the story go here (short version) and here

my position is that you should never use packet wring software ever

Advertisement