Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM or Hard Drive issue

• Please log in to reply

SheilaRae66

SheilaRae66

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've been trying for about 5 hours to figure out if the problem with my Dell Inspiron 1525 is having a RAM or Hard Drive issue. I've run diagnostic and it says its Hard Drive. I've had the "beeps" suggest that it's the RAM. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next? I've recently replaced the HD it's a WD 250GB. I've downloaded stuff from memtest86 to check for RAM errors and it passed 2 times before my computer just decided to turn itself off. I don't know what that issue is about. I've run a diagnostic test from a disc that came with the computer to check problems and it reads "Error: 0142. Msg code: 2000-0142 Hard drive 1. Self Test unsuccessful. Status 79."
I run another and it reads ERROR/STATUS CODE:0007. I'm sorry if I haven't given you enough computer information first. Whatever info you need, I will try to find.

Thank you so much!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello SheilaRay66.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:unsure: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive. WD in your case
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD. Get the cd iso and follow the below instructions.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Will it boot into Windows at all or does it shut down?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 24 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

SheilaRae66

SheilaRae66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your help everyone. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply.
I found out that the issue was my computer was overheating. I was able to clean it up and everything is running smoothly again, Hopefully for a long long time.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Sheila

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations SheilaRae66. :unsure: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I would suggest a good cleaning out once a month and if there are pets or smokers in the home then you may want to do it twice a month.
I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :yes:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible