Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen malfunction

• Please log in to reply

Peejaay

Peejaay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello Geeks to go! (yay first post, its very nice to be here!)

I have a problem concerning my screen.

One morning I was leaving the house and put my computer in sleep mode.
It basically powered down and was silent just like it was supposed to do.

Then when I came home late at night I tried to turn it back on and it worked just fine, almost...

The screen printed out "no signal" and went blank while all the other hardware kept running as if nothing was wrong. So I powered down the computer in the only way that I knew how when faced with a blank screen. I held in the power button until it went silent again.

in frustration my head slumped forward on to the keyboard and out of nowhere the computer started up again as if it was still in sleep mode.
I don't know if a computer is supposed re-enter sleep mode when the power switch is being held down on a computer already in sleep mode. I don't think so.

I preceded to check all the cables and to change screen mode from DVI to HDMI to d-sub and that resulted in the following responses:
No signal - blue screen (just plain blue, no text) - no cable

So the screen is definitely receiving power and some kind of signal

Next I tried to cut power by pressing the main power breaker on the "hub" where all the power cables are plugged in
(sorry but I don't know what it is called, I am from Sweden)

that did not work either but it is no longer stuck in sleep mode. so my problem is that the screen wont communicate properly with my computer.

I have two ideas on what may or may not have had a hand in this:

- my computer is full of crap that I was supposed to have removed (possibly viruses as well but I don't think so)

- there was a bit of a rain / tiny thunderstorm during that day but no lightning struck our house as far as I know so I doubt that had anything to do with it.

I am lost.

Dear geeks, help me fix this so I wont have to spend money I don't have on a new screen!

Thank you for reading and have a nice day!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Peejaay :)
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard , PSU
and any add on card details would also help others to help you better.