Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How To Simplify System Recovery?

• Please log in to reply

PC Genie

PC Genie

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
I have system recovery pretty much under control. My question is how to make it easier. I have an HP netbook that has a separate partition for system recovery files and there is a utility on the primary hard drive that allows for a complete resetting of the system back to manufacturer's original installation settings. The nice thing about this is that I don't have to exit windows and use an external utility. I would like to be able to do the same thing with my desktop computer. If I make a separate partition for a recovery image like this, what program would let me do the recovery like my netbook?

Currently, I am using Acronis to make a disk image and when I need to restore my system I go through an inconvenient procedure. I place an Acronis utility disk in the CD ROM and reboot my system. The utility loads itself without running Windows. I select the backup image from my external hard drive and re-install it. This works well.

My question is that I would like to do this like the HP netbook does which is much simpler and easier? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edited by PC Genie, 21 June 2011 - 11:39 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Acronis has the ability to setup the Acronis Recovery Manager which allows you to press F11 at boot to restore from a backup image. As long as the hard drive is good you won't need to boot a CD/DVD.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks for your reply. I saw something in the Acronis user's manual about a "Secure Zone", but I wasn't clear as to its function. I think maybe this is what you are talking about. Would you happen to know if it has a function to make partitions or should I use another partition management program? I have my OS on a separate HD from my data HD and I'm thinking of putting the "Secure Zone" on the data HD.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
No, Secure Zone is something else. You want Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. This link is for ATI 2011.

PC Genie

PC Genie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Thanks for the link. Although I have the 2009 version, there seems to be the same tools.