Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't Change Boot Setup

• Please log in to reply

G-bo

G-bo

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,Hope I'm posting this in the right place.I've looked but can't seem to find a fix for this.This is my friends PC and it has windows 2000 on it and I was going to re-format it and put xp on for him however I cannot seem to enter bios to set the boot order.At startup I have the option to enter setup by pressing "control + S".When I do this I get a screen called "Intel®Boot Agent Version 4.0.22 Setup Menu".On this screen it has been set to PXE(preboot execution envoirment.The only other choice for this option is RPL(REMOTE PROGRAM LOAD).Below this is boot order and it is set to "use Bios setup boot order",this line cannot be changed,when I try It say's "no other choices available".Just wondering if there was a way to set the boot order to a dvd drive so I could re-format?Tks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are two matters that immediately spring to mind.

1. Is the XP you are installing available for use. By that I mean is the product key in use already. If it is, and it is the usual one use licence then even if it installs, it will at the first update attempt, fail when Microsoft detects the key is already in use.

2. It is extremely unlikely that with Win2000 installed the computer will have a SATA hard drive, so whilst you will not have the usual attendant problems of installing XP to a SATA drive. you do need to ensure, before you format, that the computer hardware and ram will run XP. It is LIKELY it will.

CD may already be first boot device, have you tried it. If not enter setup by, keep tapping F2 on first post screen, it may not be F2, although it usually is, it will tell you on first post screen - TO enter setup press ?

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi MacBoatmaster,thanks for the quick reply.You were right about the boot already set to dvd drive.Popped the cd in and started right away,I always thought I had to set it to the drive first,shows what I know eh :).Well the install seemed to be going smooth till I got a pop up screen that say's "virus warning the boot sector has changed.If you just enabled virus detection then this change is expected.If not then a boot sector virus may be present.You should run a virus identification program to see if your system is infected".Below this are 2 choices "change is expected" and "change is not expected".If I press f1 for help it also gives you 2 choices,one tells you how to navigate through the screens but not really much info about the pop up screen.The other say's "Select this line if change is ok".I'm assuming I need to press this selection to proceed.Been awhile since I did this but I don't recall this screen.Appreciate any help.Thanks again,Cheers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Before you rpoceed have you noticed my advice at 1. in my post above.

You need to completely format the hard drive, create just one partition - the whole drive and then proceed with the install
See this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

There is another note of caution.
Is that installation CD you are using the Microsoft XP installation CD, as if it is an OEM disc, that is original equipment manufacturer for say a Dell, Hp or whatever and you are trying to use this on another system there is every chance it will not work anyway.

Normally, with such a message I would recommend that you go to the Malware forum, as these matters cannot be dealt with in this forum, they can only be dealt with by a certified malware advisor, but as you are going to format the HDD and install XP, that course of action is not necessary at this stage.

Please tell me at exactly what stage in the procedure you used you received this message

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,just wanted to let you know that I finally got everything installed and all's well.I followed your advice and formatted the whole disk to one big partition.that seemed to do it,all updates are working and installed.Thanks again for the help,appreciate it very much.Cheers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked.
DO NOT FORGET the anti-virus installation.

Here are some of oiur recommendations
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

One of the best free, using little resources compared with many others and frequently updated and very unobtrusive is Microsoft Security Essentials.

My advice is to keep away from any of the products offered, some from well known names, that include what they call, their Tune Up programs. There have been quite a few reports of problems from these, which are basically automated ways of disk clean, disk defrag and cleaning browswer files, all of which should be done on a regular basis. However many include a registry cleaner which SHOULD NOT BE USED at anytime on any computer.

Good luck with it.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,I followed the link you put on your last post and decided to try microsoft essentials.I was running AVG Free for years,but it does seem to use more cpu power.I Do have one question tho'.During install it asked me to remove any anti-virus or any anti-spyware I had installed.I did uninstall AVG(used Revo Uninstaller) before before I installed "Essentials",however super-antispymare was still installed,should I uninstall it now?Right now I have microsoft essentials,malewarebytes and super-antispyware installed,but if you think I do not need super-antispyware or that it may conflict with the microsoft security program I will uninstall it.Tks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you have the free edition of Super Anti Spyware and the free edition of malwarebytes, these do NOT run in real time.
Therefore they will not clash.
Use MSE for your real time protection.
Depending on your usage and the nature of your browsing use Malwarebytes and SAS for periodic scans, once a week or so.
When scanning with one of these always disable MSE.
Any AV or Anti spyware scan can be adversely efected by the presence of another running program of that sort.

G-bo

G-bo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks,that makes a lot of sense,even when I ran AVG for real time protection I always had S.A.S. and MBAM disabled and just used them when I needed them.Guess I'm all set then,thanks again for all your help MacBoatmaster.Have a good one,Cheers.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Also for your information, when you do scan with MBAM you only need to do a quick scan. This covers 99.5% of your data.
A full scan is not deemed necessary by Malwarebytes, except when recommended by a qualified Malware expert, as for instance in the Malware forum of this site.