Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox 4.0 Slow

• Please log in to reply

msbug

msbug

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Ever since I upgraded to Firefox 4.0 loading pages and websites is extremely slow. I have done scans and do not have any malware and I have plenty of memory. I amusing Windows XP SP3. I would like to go back to a previous version. Do I have to do something other than uninstalling from the control panel? Thanks.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello there

I'm not sure if you have seen this tutorial but its worth a try. Also I don't know what malware scans you have done but theres no harm getting one done here. Please read the following topic here and then post your problem here.

Please post your problem there where our experts will be more than happy to assist you :) Please return to this topic if you are still having problems. Only return when the malware team have finished. I am not saying this to be rude I am saying this to avoid any problems that may occur due to multiple advice.

Regards

Phattykatt

Phattykatt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It seemed I had the same problem when I first installed firefox4. I had to read a lot, but if my memory serves me correctly I did have to uninstall once after upgrading to firefox 4, removed everything pertaining to (the register, program, my documents, user accounts) if your working on vista or 7 you might have to need to get full admin rights through command prompt. I use xp still. there is a link to the firefox help i believe this is where i started

http://support.mozil...tops-responding

Edited by Phattykatt, 21 June 2011 - 03:45 PM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you. I have done Malwarebytes and Avast. I also have Spywareblaster. My computer was slow about a month ago and I was helped on here and everything was okay. After I installed Firefox 4.0 it started hanging up.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

I think I have sorted the problem. If I vaguely remember when I had Firefox 4.0 it was a little slow it-self so it may not be related to Malware. What I suggest is to remove Firefox 4.0 with Revo Uninstaller which can be found here and do the Advanced removal which is the last option as this will remove it completely and then install Firefox 5.0 which can be found here and then apply the Firefox tweak which can be found here

Please reply back if this has / has not cured your problem

Edited by wizzy2k5, 22 June 2011 - 05:25 AM.

msbug

msbug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Thank you Wizzy, I will try that. I didn't even know they hard a 5.0. I just installed the 4.0. LOL

Phattykatt

Phattykatt

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks too. I will definately try it. Seemed firefox4 had a lote of trouble with plugins using cpu so hope this one is better

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
I had upgraded to 4.0.0 and didn't like it so I went back to 3.6.17. Just today it upgraded to 3.6.18.

Googling FF4, I found a plethora of issues with javascript not to mention many other problems. I think they released it before all the bugs had been swatted. Makes you wonder why FF4 only lasted 3 months!!

Let us know how FF5 goes.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I have been using Firefox 5.0 for just over a day now and have had no problems so looks like everything has been sorted. Also please don't use short abbreviations as some people may find it hard to understand.

Thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi wizzy2k5,

I do apologize for the use of abbreviations. But you're right!

If you could please, after a few more days, post back with an update on if you've come across any issues with using Firefox 5.0 to it's fullest potential. I'd really appreciate it. I'm really concerned about my add-ons being compatible.

Thanks,

Donna :)

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
New Firefox versions are now like Chrome; now it mainly pushes out bug fixes and improvements instead of a bunch of new functions. That's why we see Firefox 5 right after 4.0.1 and not something like 4.5.20.
So it is a good idea to update Firefox soon after the update comes out.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
I agree with you and DonnaB I will test several addons later and I will post a report on what I think. I have tested Firefox 5 on serveral websites with basic code and javascript and all is good so far. I will now go deeper into Firefox by using themes and addons and I will let you know what I have found in the next few hours / days.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 23 June 2011 - 07:03 AM.

John Bull

John Bull

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
OK, Mozilla releases Firefox 4, then 5 and what next ?
I use Firefox 3.6.18 and everything works fine, I never bothered with 4 for the reason posed in my last question and now we have 5.

If I update to 4 or 5 or whatever Mozilla pops up with tomorrow, what happens to the compatibility of all the hundreds of independent vital programs we use when these new browser versions are installed ?

Do we get a super- duper Firefox and nothing else works ?

Edited by John Bull, 23 June 2011 - 03:56 PM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hi there

I understand that it can be annoying when updates are released all the time but updates at times are vital for a number of things such as bugs. Firefox 4 to me had serious bugs to which is why I waited for 5.0 to come out. In terms of compatability Firefox keeps all compatability intact as far as i'm aware. But things can go wrong in the computer world which is why I advise people to do backups regular then you can always revert back.

I have tested Firefox 5.0 on a number of things such as addons etc.... and everything works how it should. I don't know if 3.6.18 had any issues but if it works for you just keep it how you have had it :)

Regards

KristopherJames

KristopherJames

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have noticed that some of my extensions no longer worked after I updated to Firefox 5, however it told me which ones were not going to be compatible before I installed it, so I would have had the option to wait.

It can be a pain with the new versions coming out frequently with the different Add-ons and Extensions, however, I personally am happy to update for the most stable version, and then worry more about the "extras" later on.