Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick question

• Please log in to reply

Milfeh

Milfeh

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So for a while now my computer will not start.It was working fine the night before but in the morning when I went to turn it on so I could listen to some music it would not power on, the computers fan was making loud noises every now and then . I'm pretty sure there is probably nothing you guys can do to help me fix this problem but if you guys might have an idea of what might have caused this I would realy appreciate it. Seeing as how I'm going to have it sent out to get fixed within the next two weeks I would like to know what I might be getting into. Sorry if this was not the right place to post this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not knowing if this is a desktop or laptop I would venture to say it is a power supply problem and the fan noise you hear is most likely the bearings in the fan are shot.

Milfeh

Milfeh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Desktop, if that turned out to be the case is worth sending to get fixed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is the PSU then yes it would be worth replacing.
Take a look at this site HERE and you can see it is not that hard to replace. Depending on the wattage of your current PSu you will need to replace it with something at least as much of not more wattage. Also replacing with a good name brand PSU is always a good ideal as a sub standard PSU can cause lots of problems which the worst could be a fire in your system.

Milfeh

Milfeh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Any brands you would recommend ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm partial to Corsair

iAmXquisite

iAmXquisite

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
If you aren't scared of opening your computer then it's worth you fixing it yourself. Just make sure to get a anti-static wrist band that way you wont fry none of your hardware.

Milfeh

Milfeh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
If I upgraded to something higher would I need to upgrade anything else?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you just have to make sure the new PSU has the correct connections for your motherboard and all your drives.

Milfeh

Milfeh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
ok thanks
and as for the fan do I need anew one? if so any brand I should look for?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The fan is actually inside the power supply. If you turn your system on and look at the back of it where the electrical cord plugs in you will see the fan inside the power supply.
If you turn the system on you should be able to see it turn and hear the noise a lot louder from the back of the system. You could also open the side of the case up and turn the system on. That will also help to locate the exact point of the noise.

Milfeh

Milfeh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
How do you know if a psu is compatible with your pc, where would I look?
Also when I try to remove my current psu theres a piece of metal preventing me from removing the last two screws and the guide doesn't go over that. Any idea on how to go about this?

Edited by Milfeh, 01 July 2011 - 02:49 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get a picture of the metal piece blocking the screws?
Also if you look on your PSU there should be a sticker or a metal plate with the make and model number of the unit. If you can get that for me I can find a compatible unit for you.

Milfeh

Milfeh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first it looks like you have the actual mounting screws removed for the PSU. The ones marked with the red arrows below should be the only mounting screws. The two blue ones look to be the fan screws in the psu itself.[attachment=51106:untitled.JPG]

Your existing PSU looks to be a 250 watt and that is low in today's standards. I would suggest this one HERE as a great replacement. Corsair 80 plus certified PSU's are very reliable and I trust them a lot.