Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Issues with Windows Security and Malwarebytes

• Please log in to reply

ArcherJP

ArcherJP

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll provide a log if my description of this problem can't get it solved (I'm not in front of the problem computer, and encountered this problem AFTER removing a vicious piece of malware (XP Antispyware 2012) off the computer. The virus is gone - none of the programs installed on the computer (malwarebytes, avira, spybot search and destory, and superantispyware) are picking it up on a scan any longer, and I've searched all the typical locations for files and rootkeys to make sure it's GONE. It appears to be clean.

My issue is not with the virus/trojan, but with Malwarebytes.

We updated it to remove the nasty lil bug, and while it did the trick (and exceptionally well!), we encountered a problem with it's newest feature - the IP blocker.

In my efforts to update the computer in question's Windows Security Center (which hadn't been updated in quite a bit), Malwarebytes chirped up a few dozen times, blocking IP addresses like it was going out of style.

Computer runs Windows XP, service pack 3, 80 gig hard drive, 2.2ghz processor, 1 gig ram. any more info should be capable of being acquired shortly.

Three IPs came up most often: 58.218.199.147, 222.186.20.151, 221.192.199.49, all labeled 'incoming'.

When unblocked, WSC would download updates. When blocked, the updates stalled. (and before you mention it, yes - I posted a possible false positive report on Malwarebytes' forum)

I was wondering if anyone might know anything more on this - if they've experienced it themselves, if it's an XP issue, and is not found in others, or if it might be another nasty bug I need to go hunting for.

Any insight would be helpful. Again, I'll be able to post a log in two or three days, when I next get access to this computer. I didn't think of it when I was cleaning the virus off, sadly.

Edited by ArcherJP, 22 June 2011 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

ThreeGuser

ThreeGuser

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Although I am not 100% sure at this time, I suspect that your computer may be infected by malware (virus or other malicous code). This needs to be checked further. Unfortunately, I am still not competent and trained enough to provide you with the necessary expert help that you need. That is why I recommend:

• you perform these instructions here starting from step #2 - <note! follow them strictly>
  • After you have read them, post in this subforum
    Here at Geeks To Go we have special dedicated subforum and trained experts who can help your diagnose and fix your problems.

Please, also make some things clearer, which I will comment below.

I wish you good luck and thank you for your understanding!

Best regards!

In my efforts to update the computer in question's Windows Security Center (which hadn't been updated in quite a bit)

Windows Security Center, part of Windows XP and Windows Vista , is not a stand-alone application but part of the operating system. It is not being updated alone by itself. That is why you need to make it clearer when you repost your problem what exactly were you trying to do.

Computer runs Windows XP, service pack 3, 80 gig hard drive, 2.2ghz processor, 1 gig ram. any more info should be capable of being acquired shortly.

Thank you for this information. While it is not that important for resolving your problem, the experts that will help you will gather the necessary info by themselves.

Three IPs came up most often: 58.218.199.147, 222.186.20.151, 221.192.199.49, all labeled 'incoming'.

I have checked the IPs for you and they all appear to be coming from China. I don't know where you are located but the fact that the IPs come from China is a bit suspicious. This need to be checked.
Unfortunately, in Windows XP Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware cannot display information what process in your system is responsible for the connection(s) and your pop-ups ballons from Malwarebytes don't display a particular application.

Any insight would be helpful. Again, I'll be able to post a log in two or three days, when I next get access to this computer. I didn't think of it when I was cleaning the virus off, sadly.

When you have time, follow the instructions above and post in the appripriate sub-forum . Thank you for your understanding!

ThreeGuser

Edited by ThreeGuser, 23 June 2011 - 02:08 AM.