Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oldy but a goody, BIOS doesn't see SATA HDD

• Please log in to reply

Roelstra

Roelstra

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've seen a few posts on this throughout the forum and unfortunately the ones that I've found haven't really assisted me that much.

I was using my PC about two weeks ago when it simply stopped. No errors, no noise, it just stopped. The keyboard and mouse ceased to work and it just sat there glowing at me contentedly while I scratched my head.

I powered the machine down and brought it back up and received the famous "No system disk" message. I rebooted again and got into the bios and saw that my hard drive was no longer listed. Working on the assumption that the drive was bad I dropped in a known good drive and had the same results. It wasn't found.

I then changed out the SATA cable, nothing. Changed the power cable, nothing. Tried all the SATA ports on the motherboard, nothing. Then I started to move out from the HDD to other components on the off chance that they were some how causing the issue. Reseated the RAM, changed out video cards, unplugged CD-ROm (which has no issues running CDs and working as the boot drive), etc. Each was done singularly and each time there was no change.

Reloaded the BIOS defaults, nothing. Popped the battery and waited 10 minutes and reseated it, nothing.

At this point I'm confident in saying that the motherboard has died on me however I'd like some second opinions before I spend money on new equipment.

My specs are as follows.

ASUS P5N72-T Premium
Intel E8400 3.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo (not overclocked)
8 gig DDR2 800 Mhz RAM
Hitachi? Deskstar 260 gig HDD (drive that was originally in it)
WD Velociraptop 160g HDD (know good drive used for testing)
EVGA Geforce GTX 460 1gig (factory overclocked)

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Roelstra

Roelstra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oh I forgot to mention. In a fit of frustration I kicked the PC and for my efforts I received a sore toe and was able to detect the HDD for a single boot. After powering down and returning the machine to it's place under my desk the issue returned and the drive was no longer detectable. Yes I have tried it again, not it hasn't worked, and yes I'm aware that physically abusing the machine isn't what one would call a traditional troubleshooting method.