Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

pdf

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bazza

bazza

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Something is wrong with my setup. I am unable to open pdf files correctly. They always open as masses of symbols. I am using Firefox v 4.0.1. Help please

Advertisements

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
If you suspect that you have encountered a setup error,then you must try uninstalling the application(Adobe Reader) first and then installing it again.If that fails too,then your Adobe Setup/Installer might be corrupt.

Are all other applications like your FF 4.0.1 giving correct texts?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Try something else like Sumatra PDF or Foxit Reader first.
If they work and you still prefer Adobe Reader, then you can simply download a new copy of Adobe Reader, uninstall the existing version and then install AR again with the new installer.

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks for your suggestions guys. I installed SumatraPDF and it works fine. Downloaded Adobe Reader, went to uninstall old version and found I didn't even have it!! All good now. I have two prorammes I can use. YAY!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
foxitreader is the best of the 3...

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Foxit is nice, but its Ask Toolbar is quite annoying, even if you can opt out, and Sumatra can also read XPS and DjVu in addition to PDF.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
as for the Ask Toolbar...either opt out during the install or use add/remove programs to uninstall it if you got click happy during the install...
foxit can also be used to fill forms and you can grab text from a pdf...(copy and paste)

bazza

bazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
It is very annoying when so many applications insist in trying to nobble your toolbar etc, sometimes even want to change your homepage. I know you can opt out to all their suggestions but it is time consuming and you have to be careful. Part of living in an increasingly commercial age I guess. Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I am happy with Adobe Reader. Does all I require.