Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The letter y gets typed without me typing

• Please log in to reply

manueltupapa

manueltupapa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:
Hello.. I need some serious help with a problem thats been buggering me for a while..
When I press the letter "y" in my laptop's keyboard... nothing comes up on the screen.. Then when I restart the computer, and open an program where you can type, a whole bunch of y's appear. sometimes filling over a page of nothing but y's... something like this:

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now multipl this by 30.

to use the y rigyht now i am using cut/paste... the y gets displayed sometimes randomly..example: i am typing a website address in internet and a bunch of y's appear...

this is really annoying... i've run my symantec antivirus, i have spware doctor full version, i recently downloaded security task manager, tried all windows updates including the malicious removing tool from microsoft.com and nothing happens..

the problem is not onl when i am writing but also anytime that im using the computer because it makes the repeated noise as if someone is pressing a key repeatedly and leaving it pressed..

with the securit task manager i got a temporar solution to the problem..which was quarantine a file which has a 100 rating called KeyHook.dll located in a folder SONy UTILITIES... i restarted the computer and the y worked properly then.. out of the blue,, the problem began again..i've tried to turn off restore and do the same thing but now there is nothing to prevent the problem.

the only bad program i had in my computer was messenger plus (didnt install the bundle adware programs) and i deleted it... and have updated my msn messenger.

someone help me please.. thank u

Advertisements

gmhafiz

gmhafiz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Perhaps the key on your keyboard is stuck?

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
No, it is the Keyhook.dll

Edited by an Administrator. If you feel your advice needs legal disclaimers, then don't post it!

Hello! While we appreciate the fact that you want to help out, we do not allow non-Staff Members to post help on the boards. There are too many things that could go wrong, and too many Malwares that can make themselves look "legitimate". Many times, there are special tools and fixes that need to be used, and our Staff Members are trained to recognize and clean these infections.

If you are interested in training to become a Staff Member, please post Here

Thank you for your cooperation!

Kat
GeeksToGo Administrator

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could you pop up a hijackthis log so I can see what is running in the background?

manueltupapa

manueltupapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
can someone explain to me what to do with the Keyhook.dll ? should i just delete it manually or what?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I would NOT delete that at the moment.

It is a dynamic linking library (dll) file that is designed to hook typed keystrokes. It COULD be bad, as some programs use it wrong, but it could also be legitimate.

manueltupapa

manueltupapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
hi .
so can someone please tell me what to do with the file? i can't delete it according to gerryf so what do i do? :tazz: