Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reinstall xp

• Please log in to reply

andyc71

andyc71

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have quite an old computer which a friend has been using for the last 6 moths or so. I now have it back in my possesion and wish to reinstall XP

I have an Advent System Recovery CD-Rom which has XP on it and the tower has a genuine windows sticker with the serial numer on it so I should be ok to do this.

However, when I try to boot from the CD, windows just stats normally. I have tried tappinf F" and F11 on start up but the same happens. I also notice that even trying to start up in safe mode using F8 doesnt work and windows just boots up normally.

Also, on start up, I cannot select the windows recovery option as the cusror wont move.

Can anyone assist ?

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Are you using a USB keyboard? You may want to try a PS2 one if so.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Check if your keyboard is OK.(I mean if your LEDs on the keyboard are blinking on startup).Have you previously used the disc? If not,check if the CD is bootable(try this on a different PC)