Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

On/Off Switch on Tower

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
Had a problem with PC Tower On/Off Switch this morning. I pressed the switch, fan started to run, then it shut off, after numerous tries I finally got the pc to power up and stay on. The on/off switch is presently on. On the back of the pc beside the 120 V. power cord receptacle there is another on/off switch. Can I use this switch to turn the pc on and off and leave the tower on/off switch in the on position and ignore it. If not, please advise what is the purpose of the on/off switch on the back of the pc near the power cord receptacle?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Hi waynf

Can I use this switch to turn the pc on and off and leave the tower on/off switch in the on position and ignore it.

Off yes but on no, when you initially press the on button you short out 2 pins on the MB header (the +5V stand-by supply from the PSU) this in turn activates the +12V power supply from the PSU.

what is the purpose of the on/off switch on the back of the pc near the power cord receptacle?

It is for emergency shutdown or to prevent accidental activation (by curious children etc).
It is possible that it is the PSU that has an issue and not the on off switch so both need to be checked out.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
I solved my problem. The root of this evil was a faulty wall receptacle that was causing arcing where the power cord was plugged in. However i did find out what the rear switch was for. Thanks for your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
You are welcome and thanks for posting your solution so that it may help others :)