Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware-related mouse problems

• Please log in to reply

vahi

vahi

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
A friend recently asked me to take a look at their computer and see if I could solve some problems they have been having, and it's got me confused.

Based on the way they first described it to me, I thought it was a problem with the mouse itself, but having seen it today, I no longer believe that is the case, and hopefully somebody much smarter than me that happens to be here can help me with what does seem to be the problem.

The first problem they are having, is with the mouse pointer moving on its own, it will at seemingly random times, for lack of a better term "jump" towards the bottom right corner of the screen, not like the mouse was being moved in that direction, its just "there" without traveling the space between its previous location and there, it also seems to be clicking something down near the clock (A little grey bar thing, their computer has Windows 7, which I am unfamiliar with, but the pointer jumps to that spot, then any open windows are minimized, and a box opens down in the corner where the pointer is with "show desktop" and a second option that I cannot remember at the moment, so if that button shows the desktop, then its like its both clicking and right clicking on it at the same time) without the mouse actually being clicked.

Another reason why I suspect it is some form of malware is because this problem happens even if the mouse is unplugged!

Every time that it heads towards the bottom corner, it'll keep doing that for a minute or two, then stop and we'll be back in control of the mouse, but unable to click anything outside of the taskbar, as though there is some kind of transparent "cover" over the desktop, letting us see, but unable to interact with it. Anything we bring up while able to still use the taskbar is also behind this "cover", but can still be interacted with through the keyboard

Limited to just using the keyboard, I ran a quick scan with MBAM, which found and removed two things, after the restart that followed, the problem persisted, so I ran a full scan with MBAM, which turned up clean.

While the full MBAM scan was running, I discovered a work-around for the inability to click on anything but the taskbar, using ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the menu with task manager and stuff, then canceling back out of it allowed us to click again. Problem with that is, it doesn't do anything to actually solve the problem.

Wasn't able to scan with anything else yet because I ran out of time there, but headed back tomorrow to hopefully try more things

The other problem that is also occurring is, whenever they try to use Chrome, any time they click a tab, it closes, whether left or right clicking, the tab just closes, could this be the same malware? a different malware? a problem with Chrome? or maybe the mouse itself?

Advertisements