Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New RAM, CPU, Mobo (wont POST)

• Please log in to reply

JayZero911

JayZero911

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK first I would like to say I'm new here and I hope i get some light shed on my problem of 2 weeks now. I went to reformat my computer 2 weeks ago and ran into array of problems that led me to buying new parts (almost all new parts)

lets start with the new parts and leave out the other headaches I ran into. So I put it all together and run it. It boots fine and I get to delete and make a new Partition, but after the restart it doesn't POST and loads to a black screen with the blinking line.

The new parts
Motherboard: MSI G31TM-P21
CPU: Intel Celeron E3300
RAM: DDR2 4GB (PC6?) (2X2GB) 800MHz

Reused parts
Power: 430w
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SP2004 (180GB SATA Drive)

I have no idea what to look for after the last few days but if someone has run into this b4 and its wasn't a lose wire or bad RAM.... PLZ HELP!!!!

Edited by JayZero911, 23 June 2011 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Note that cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards so cases typically have many more mounting holes than the motherboard. A common mistake is to have extra standoffs in the motherboard shorting out the motherboard. So, you need to double check you have standoffs ONLY where there is a corresponding motherboard mounting hole - and yes, that means taking it all apart.

What sort of problems did you have before? Do your know your PSU is good?

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sorry for the absences I have Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome and have been sick the last few days. I am only using the 6 standoffs i need but for the other problems.

First i wanted to format cuz i was stupid and deleted I.E. but i could not get it to format with the command prompt. it would only do it with win98 setup and would tell me insufficient memory after it "installed" win98. took a stick out and it worked the right way. got win98 on and could not get the drivers loaded to upgrade to XP. after fighting with it i got new memory put it in and the computer would constantly restart. I thought i fried my video card and got a new one. loaded to the black screen with blinking line so took it back and got a new mobo. still nothing so i got a new CPU that i know works with the mobo. and here i stand now

Edited by JayZero911, 26 June 2011 - 01:07 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome

That does not sound like fun. I hope it is now under control. Think peaceful, calming thoughts.

I would still want to know for a fact I had a good PSU.

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the PSU is that the power supply? I am sure its good.... I wouldn't think the computer would even start up if it was bad??

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

but after the restart it doesn't POST and loads to a black screen with the blinking line.

That does not sound like it is starting to me. And yes, PSU is power supply unit.

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
well all the fans run and it loads the MSI screen but nothing after that.... but if you think its the PS then i have to wait tell next week to change it

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I am not sure it is the PSU, but I am saying when troubleshooting hardware, it is important to confirm it is being supplied with all the proper voltages. I agree your PSU "appears" to be good, but since it has to supply 3 voltages to various hardware components, we can't tell for sure.

You might try one stick of RAM at a time, in case one is bad. Does the CPU fan spin?

Epsilon

Epsilon

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Can you add in a few more details on your system specifications. Everything hardware related if you can thanks trying to trouble shoot for you but just need a few more bits of info :).

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Can you add in a few more details on your system specifications. Everything hardware related if you can thanks trying to trouble shoot for you but just need a few more bits of info :).

will do as soon as i feel up to getting all the info together.... still sick and my computer being down probably doesn't help it at all

Advertisements

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
sorry to everyone that was helping. cuz i was so sick and couldn't get to my computer problems i handed it over to my mother and brother who know far more than i do.

my mother called me today and said she got win98 on it and it is saying "insufficient memory" again and she tells me it has to be the Hard Drive.....

I'm confused cuz i read that this new mobo can't support win98/M.E. so how the heck did she get it on there?????

Edited by JayZero911, 01 July 2011 - 02:55 PM.

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok.... she called me again after putting in the 2ed stick of memory. She formatted and installed 98 again and she said it FLUE.... but it still said "insufficient memory"... now she tells me to get a full install of vista or win7 and it should work....

all she owns is the "upgrade" versions of OSs

..... i'm so confuzed

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
ok the computer is back in my hands... win98 on it but can't get past the "insufficient memory" page. I can do into command promps now but i am taring the whole thing down and writing down ALL the Hardware info. new and old parts so they will be posted later today.

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
after talking to my brother (electrical engineer) we found the BIOS is set for 64bit already (i.e. win7) so we decided that we needed a win XP or newer full install to get it goin.....

after quickly looking online for a full XP I saw how insane the prices are on a OS that is that old (200-350$) and then found win7 64bit full install for $130.... so guess what route I am going... I hope win7 is as good as ppl are telling me.... and i hope i can swing that money after dumping about that into it with hardware...

JayZero911

JayZero911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
but seance i bothered to get the info together hear is all the hardware (new and old)

CURRENTLY IN CASE
Power: Antec TP3-430

Motherboard: MSI G31TM-P21

CPU: Intel Celeron E3300

RAM: Corsair DDR2 (2x2GB) 800MHz Gaming Module Twin2x4096-6400C5

Hard drive: SAMSUNG SP2004C LBA 390,721,968 200GB P120S

CD: SAMSUNG CD-Master 40E
Model: SC-140

DVD: HL Data Storage DVD WRITABLE/CD-RW Drive
Model: GCA-4166B

OLD HARDWARE
Motherboard: Elitegroup PT890T-A (V1.0)

RAM: 512MB 2RX8 PC2-3200U-333-12-BO 512MB, DDR2, 400, CL3

CPU: Intel '04 Pentium4 2.80GHz/1M/800/04A SL7PR Malay L434B220

Video: Zotac ZT-88SE320-FSP GeForce 8800 GTS (wish to reuse when the computer is working)

So there it is =P

Edited by JayZero911, 02 July 2011 - 04:01 PM.