Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/DVD Rewrite drives not accessible.

• Please log in to reply

SandyStone

SandyStone

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
:) I received this message when I want to open my DVD and DVD RE-Write drives: The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel. The drives are a assigned a letter in my computer. My C drive works fine.

I think this problem started when I uninstalled Internet Explorer. I reinstalled it and it says in add/remove programs that I last used it on 8/2/2009.

During the reinstall I got a pop up window talking about letter drive assignment. I just ignored it at the time because I am fairly computer illiterate.

Anyway I opened up Disk Manager and there is no letter assigned to two of the volumes. Their status is healthy. I think my floppy drive is messed up to.

My Operating system is XP.

Thanks so much, for your time and help offered.:unsure:

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Go into Disk Management again and assign drive letters manually to the two optical drives:

Right-click the horizontal ribbon representing the DVD drive and choose "Change drive letter and paths".
Click "Change" and choose a drive letter from the drop-down selector. Click 'OK'

Repeat for the other optical drive.

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hello and good morning to you. :)

I did not go through with the instructions that you gave me.

I took a screen shot, so that I am communicating the problem clearly before I do anything. Because as you know sometimes a few simple clicks, and you your system goes down the crapper. I'm not down with the lingo and don't really know what I'm looking at, so I thought this would simplify the situation.

I figured out how to use MSPaint screen capture for this occasion, which was a bit of a trial. So see the attachment

If you need more info, ask.

Edited by SandyStone, 25 June 2011 - 09:01 AM.

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The attached file did not appear before. So here it is.

Also when I try to use either drive I get the messsage: The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel.

Attached Thumbnails

• Computer Managment.GIF

Edited by SandyStone, 25 June 2011 - 09:27 AM.