Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dropdown Field

• Please log in to reply

Momof3

Momof3

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone....new here! I am looking for some help with dropdown fields. I have just mastered them, but have a question. Is there anyway I can see one thing when I use the dropdown, but it shows some thing else when I choose it. For example, I dropdown and see "Language Arts Curriculum Standard 1: Students will read age appropriate material effectively and with purpose." and when I choose this choice have it only show "LA 1". Do you know what I mean? Can I do this?

When you respond, please keep in mind that it took me ALL day to do the dropdown fields! I am NOT a whiz at this!!!

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!!

N

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
are you doing drop down fields in excell access or word forms

Momof3

Momof3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I am working in word....haven't figured out the whole excel thing yet!!

:tazz:

krishnap2w2

krishnap2w2

• Pip
  • 3 posts
There are multiple ways in which you can create a dropdown list in Excel.
Data Validation
Form Control (Combo Box)
ActiveX Control (Combo Box)
But of these methods, Data Validation is the most used method, for its simplicity. Later on, I’ll explain the pros and cons of each method, so that you can choose the best method among these for you.

Before going to explain how to create a dropdown list, let me tell you what a Data Validation is? It controls the type of data or the values that users enter into a cell. For example, you may want to enter only positive values in a cell, only ‘time’ in a column, or a text below the specified length. You can define all these conditions through Data Validation. Even dropdown list is a data validation where you’re constraining the user to use only those set of words in that cell. Again, in creating a dropdown list through data validation, there are different ways in doing it.

Writing the complete list in the Source Field
1) Select the Cell (or) set of Cells in which you want to see the dropdown. 2) Go to “Data” Tab –> Data Validation –> Data Validation 3) Select List in the “Allow box” 4) Just enter the names you want to see in the dropdown list in the “Source” Box

Edited by krishnap2w2, 23 December 2014 - 04:20 AM.