Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Sound, WMP Problems, Games Working Fine?

• Please log in to reply

Wolf82

Wolf82

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, all.

This is my first post here, and I'm hoping you guys can help.
It started roughly a week ago... I started the computer normally, but there was no sound I soon found out. YouTube Videos, Windows sounds, nothing at all. Also, when I try to use Windows Media Player with a song or audio file on the computer, it says "An audio codec is needed to play this file"
I'm not sure what coul be going on. I've tried downloading and installing K-Lite Codec Pack, but maybe I did something wrong? I've gone to Device Manager and updated all the sound drivers and everything, but it still doesn't work.
Also, when I go to Control Panel>Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds the play button for the selected sound is grayed out and I can't use it.
The odd part is, when I play a game (Minecraft, IL-2 Sturmovik, Battlefield 2, anything) or use a CD, the sounds are all just fine.
I'm willing to retry any steps, so long as I can get this fixed!
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm starting to get a bit worried about this. Thank you.
:unsure: :) :yes:

Advertisements

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Try installing VLC Media Player and check if it plays audio fine.If it does,I suspect you have got a problem with the WMP and some Windows Components.

Perhaps this could help.

Click on Start.
Open Run.
Type devmgmt.msc and click OK
Expand Sound,Video and Game Controllers.
If you find any errors,then right-click on the item and click on Update Driver.

Edited by anuvab1911, 24 June 2011 - 08:57 PM.

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey. Thanks for the reply!

VLC works fine, but obviously the rest of the things (Applications excluding games, YouTube Videos, ect) are still not working.
No errors in Device Manager whatsoever. Any ideas/instructions on what I should do next?
Again, thank you.

gTz

gTz

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Wow, thanks guys. This just also migh t solve my problem, too. Going to check once I'm on my PC. (on my phone (nokia x6) right now). Thanks again.

anuvab1911

anuvab1911

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
It seems that you might be having a corrupt Windows Installation.Check If you have some audio files at the location C:\WINDOWS\Media.
If you don't have any,then the installation might have been corrupt.Check if you get something as I provided in my attachment.

Attached Thumbnails

• err.JPG

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, there's sound files in both C:/WINDOWS/Media and in the Sounds and Audio devices panel. However, sound scheme is set to "Windows Default"

So, I guess I'll have to reinstall something Windows related?
Any next steps?

Edited by Wolf82, 28 June 2011 - 05:24 AM.

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Anyone?? I'm still not sure what to do next.
Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi Wolf82 sorry you have been waiting for assistance I will see if I can help.
Can you provide some details about your computer, desktop or laptop, custom build or named brand such as Dell, HP, ASUS etc and if it is also provide the model name or number.
Possible causes include a failed or uninstalled sound chip/card, driver conflict/s or an internal connection being loose/bad.
Have you tried running dxdiag? If not go to Start and then enter dxdiag in the search area, open dxdiag.exe and click on the Sound Tab, what does it report.

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi, phillpower2.

The computer is a Gateway Desktop, custom built from the factory (I had it special ordered with specific parts). The model is GM5076E.

I just now looked at dxdiag.
Under device it says...

Name: SigmaTel Audio
Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01VEN_8384DEV_7680SUBSYS_1
Manufacturer ID: 1
Type: WDM
Default Device: Yes

Under Drivers it says...

Name: sthda.sys
Version: 5.10.4647.0004 (English)
Date: 9/27/2005 12:50:00
WHQL Logo'd: N/A
Other Files:
Provider: SigmaTel

The Direct X features is set to hardware sound acceleration level "fast"
I did a sound test, and I heard everything it threw out.

In the notes, it says there are no problems found.

http://support.gatew...008880sp3.shtml
This should be the correct specs to the computer. (Although, since the computer was more-or-less "custom" I'm not sure if those will be 100% on target. They appear to be, though.)

Thanks.

Edited by Wolf82, 03 July 2011 - 08:47 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
From your OP;

Also, when I go to Control Panel>Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds the play button for the selected sound is grayed out and I can't use it.

What options do you get if you right click on the audio device?

Advertisements

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Not sure exactly what you meant by "audio device"
If I right click on "Sounds and Audio Devices" I have the option to open or create a shortcut.
In any of the tabs inside, there's just the option for "What's This?" if I right click.
Sorry if I'm missing something...?
Sounds.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Click on the Hardware Tab and post a screenshot please.

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here you go.

SoundsHardware1.JPG SoundsHardware2.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Right click on the Sigma Tel entry, properties and then general is the usage set to enabled.
Can you also check the Properties and Driver tabs to see if any problems are reported.
Volume Tab, make sure nothing there is muted and place a volume icon on the task bar using the tick box.
Click on Advanced check the volume slider controls and that nothing is muted, set the volume to high and finally the Audio Tab, again check the volume sliders and that nothing is muted.
Do you by any chance have an add on video card that also has HD Audio?
Other than the above checks the only other thing I could think of is to remove all audio drivers and start afresh in case there are driver conflicts.

Wolf82

Wolf82

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
SigmaTel is enabled. In both drivers and properties, everything reports as okay.
Nothing's muted.

Also, I forgot to mention, placing a volume icon on the task bar is checked, but it doesn't show up.
I suppose I should also mention, Steam Voice Chat works. And Steam videos don't play because I "need a special Flash Player that is different from the one installed for my browser"
I installed it, but the same message comes up.

Everything else seems to be in order.
As far as I know, the video card doesn't have anything related to HD Audio.

Thanks for the help, phillpower2. I guess I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.