Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen and system freeze

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that is exactly what you need to find.
Vista Home Premium and it has to be a OEM version. A retail version will NOT work :)

Advertisements

aydyty

aydyty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Ok, if I can't find that then I reinstall the factory image - but lose files and reinstall them via back-up disks?

aydyty

aydyty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Another thought, will the system recovery disks I made after purchasing the PC work as the OEM version?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope they are the image just like the one on the partition.
You can backup the data files but any programs you have installed yourself will have to be reinstalled.

aydyty

aydyty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
would it be easier to upgrade to the next windows version?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can get a Win7 32 bit upgrade if that is what you mean.
Since your system is running Vista right now upgrading it should be no problem.

aydyty

aydyty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
As opposed to spending $100+ on a windows 7 upgrade, thought it may make more sense given the age of the computer to restore the factory image and restore files from my back-up discs. Any thoughts or tutorials on that, thanks?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Like I stated before the recovery partition with return the system to factory new condition. Any programs you installed will have to be reinstalled and any data if you have it backed up with be copied back to it's appropriate folders after reinstall.

aydyty

aydyty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thought I'd circle back with an update...After re-imaging worked only for a short while. I re-seated the memory chips and the video card and seems to have done the trick. The sys has been stable for more tha a week. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear but I won't call this resolved for a while just in case it peaks it ugly head back up. Please update in another week and then we may be able to consider it resolved. Thank you for the update and I am happy it is stable now. :)

Advertisements