Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to fix Hal.dll error with no windows recovery disk

• Please log in to reply

mbv67

mbv67

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello people, I'm new here and I have a problem. My desktop has a hal.dll error and it was running just fine yesterday evening. Now when I try to start up the computer, I can't run it normally due to the hal.dll error. I searched how to fix it on google with no luck. I keep finding results saying I have to have a Windows XP recovery disk and I have to use that to fix the computer. I want to use another way to fix it because I don't have a Windows XP recovery disk, since I don't recall having one when I first bought the desktop a few years ago. I'm worried I might lose all my things at the moment and I don't wan't to resort to getting all my personal stuff back as a result of this.

Advertisements

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: your version of Windows XP
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

After you have burnt the disc you will now need to boot off this CD and when prompted press R to enter the recovery console. At the prompt please type chkdsk /r to begin the repair process. When finished type exit and your desktop will restart. Please eject the CD after the repair has been completed.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 24 June 2011 - 11:59 AM.

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've made it to the recovery console black screen, and after the "Type the Administrator password:", and "C\WINDOWS" parts, I'm currently stuck at the C:\> part. What exactly do I need to type here?

Edited by mbv67, 24 June 2011 - 01:58 PM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

At C:\WINDOWS you need to type this command but without the speech marks "chkdsk /r" and then hit enter. This will take around 30 minutes to complete. When completed type exit and your computer will automatically restart. Upon restart please remove the CD but keep it safe as we may need it later.

Thanks

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I typed chkdsk/r after C:\WINDOWS and now I'm at a blue screen saying "STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found} The procedure entry point NtSerializeBoot could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

Edited by mbv67, 24 June 2011 - 02:28 PM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Looks like we will have to go into this a little deeper. That disc we created earlier :) we need it again. Please put the disc into your CD/DVD drive and please follow these directions by wannabe1 If you know the date that the problem first occured then go back to the date before the problem started. For example if you first got the problem on the 23rd of June then go back to the 22nd of June. You will see these in the restore points (for example rp9 and so on)

If this fails then a format maybe the only cure but we will cross that when we come to it and if possible data could be saved. If you cannot get a Windows CD then I do have an alternative but again we will cross that when it comes to it. I would also advise for you to print these instructions out or write them down.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 24 June 2011 - 02:38 PM.

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Great I followed the directions except for one thing when I type copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system and copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software, it says after the command is not recognized.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

Unfortunately worst has came to worst. It appears to me that more is wrong with the system other than the hal.dll error as this should of been able to complete without any errors as I have done this method many of times without failure so the next step would have to be a format i'm affraid. I know this isn't the news that you wish to hear but it seems only like the only cure possible and you will need a Windows XP CD to do this. I know that you don't have a Windows XP CD and I know that these can be expensive but I do have another option. If you just do basic stuff on the intenet such as browsing, facebook and so on than this method will be cheap and cure the problem. If you would like me to explain this method please let me know and I will get this started for you. In the meantime I will explain on how to backup data if you can gain access to the hard drive. This is done without logging into the Windows XP installation. Please note you will need some backup storage such as a USB pen drive or you can upload your vital documents to online file storage for safe keeping.

• Please download Puppy Linux from here
  • Please download and install IMGBurn from here
  • Burn the Puppy Linux CD ISO using IMGBurn, to do this start IMGBurn and select the option which says Write image file to disc
  • Browse for the Puppy Linux CD ISO (Will look like a folder with a magnifying glass)
  • Then hit the button at the bottom (Image file to CD)
  • Wait for it to complete the burning process

• Boot the computer up and boot off the CD
  • Hit enter and follow the prompts till ya get to the main desktop - (Please note this is a live CD and will not require any installation)
  • When on the desktop you will see hard drive icons at the bottom (example sda1,sda2 etc...)
  • If you have one hard drive installed it will probably be sda2, however you will soon know by the folders you will see
  • Make sure you have a USB memory pen ready and copy your data onto the memory pen

Edited by wizzy2k5, 24 June 2011 - 03:24 PM.

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I clicked the sda2 file in Puppy Linux, so what do I do next?

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
Hello

You should see some folders with names such as Windows, Users and so on. You will need to go into the Users one and then go into your own user account and then find your documents to backup.

Advertisements

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm sorry this whole experience is crazy and I'm confused as to how Puppy Linux works. Could you explain a little more as to how I should do the backup. Which specific items should I click in order to back up my files?

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I finally got all my things backed up on a usb drive of mine. Seeing as I still have the hal.dll error, what do I do now?

Edited by mbv67, 24 June 2011 - 07:24 PM.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
We have no choice now but to format the PC as no other methods will be available. Please follow the guidelines below

• Please download openSUSE live Gnome from here
  • Burn the openSUSE live CD ISO using IMGBurn, to do this start IMGBurn and select the option which says Write image file to disc
  • Browse for the openSUSE live CD ISO (Will look like a folder with a magnifying glass
  • Then hit the button at the bottom (Image file to CD)
  • Wait for it to complete the burning process
To get the live CD please go down to live Gnome and select the following

• Direct link
  • 32bit CD
  • Download Gnome
When the procedure is all complete please insert the live CD and boot off it. If you like it and im sure you will as this is more secure than most operating systems please follow the installation procedure which can be located here

I would advise for you to remove the Windows partition and install a fresh openSUSE installation to avoid any issues when you load into the operating system such as dual boot. If you would like to do this please do the following below

• Boot off the recovery CD we created earlier and load into the recovery console
  • At the prompt type format c:\ and hit enter
  • Wait for the procedure to complete
  • Type exit to leave the recovery console
Please be advised that this will erase your whole hard drive

If you would like more assistance with this procedure please let me know and I will be more than happy to explain.

Regards

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 June 2011 - 06:46 AM.

mbv67

mbv67

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I forgot to tell you that I fixed the hal.dll error by fixing the boot.ini file. I now have the dreaded windows\system32\config\system error now.

wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Hello

At C:\WINDOWS you need to type this command but without the speech marks "chkdsk /r" and then hit enter. This will take around 30 minutes to complete. When completed type exit and your computer will automatically restart. Upon restart please remove the CD but keep it safe as we may need it later.

Thanks

Please retry the post above if not then the format one will be the only choice left as nothing else will be availble. The format one is this post

Thanks

Edited by wizzy2k5, 25 June 2011 - 07:22 AM.