Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internal Hard Drive as External

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
So are you sure the intenral hard drive I have now will fit the enclosure kit?
I just measured it with a ruler and it is 4" x 6"
Is my Western Digital WD6400AAKS WD Caviar Blue 640 GB hard drive compatible with this rosewill enclosure?
Thanks

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
That is the size of those disks. I suspect the size, 3.5", is the size of the platter, not the complete disk. If it is a standard size disk, which it appears to be, it will fit an enclosure which is listed to fit 3.5" disks. Obviously it would not fit in a Rosewill 2.5" enclosure :-).

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Do you know of a cheaper product that does not have the eSata?
Only USB?
I dont need the eSATA port, so I am guessing it would be cheaper if I found a product that has a USB only with fan...
any recommendations please?

Edited by hospitaldoctor, 29 June 2011 - 11:10 AM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
There is a version that has USB3 instead of eSATA, but it might be more expensive. There are some models which just have USB, but are only a few dollars cheaper and I am not familiar with the specifics of the case, which can make a difference. Some of the cheaper ones don't seem to have a fan. I suspect that since the drive is SATA, that adding eSATA does not really increase the cost of the unit. You can ignore it or if later you get a computer that has the ability for an external SATA connection or eSATA, then you could make use of it.

You can search for enclosures with an internal SATA interface, which is what your disk has, and an external USB interface that also have a fan. Perhaps others can recommend other enclosures. There are many enclosures, but without having looked at it and/or used it, it is hard to recommend something.

There are many places to buy an enclosure from as well, some places might have better prices than others.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Ok
thanks a lot... I appreciate it :)
I purchased the silver Rosewill that you recommended... so what do I do once I receive the item?
How do I use it exactly?
Thanks

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Once it arrives, you will need to install the disk into the enclosure, which is pretty simple, just several screws. There are 4 on the bottom of the enclosure and two on the back. You have to take the two on the back off in order to remove the side panels. You need to take off the side panels to mount the disk. You plug in the connectors, mount the drive, put the side panels and bottom panel back on, then you can plug the power adapter in (make sure that the power switch is off), plug in the USB cable and then turn the drive on. The computer should recognize it, assuming it has a filesystem that it can understand, and you should be able to access it.