Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can I use VOIP to connect to another modem?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I would like to connect my PC via modem through the internet possibly using a Majikjak or Skype type of VOIP to another modem which is monitoring a machine. The program which I use is an old DOS program on both ends and works well over the telephone line at 9600 baud. Is this possible or do I look at different technology?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Very doubtful.

For any VOIP technology broadband is a minimum. It ain't gonna happen over dial-up.

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
You can put a single computer, say the xbox, on the USB port on the modem. and your router on the the ethernet input. Because the modem has only one MAC address.That will give you 2 full 3megabit pipes ( Im guessing the 3 billion means 3 megabit) The one on the USB wont be behind the firewall. you will need to protect it. Otherwise I would use a bridge instead of a routed type connection