Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Won't Load; Keeps Cycling Through

• Please log in to reply

Jhazon

Jhazon

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
A few months ago, after receiving a virus/malware, I deleted a few files that were indicated as being corrupt. This stopped the virus, though it has since caused a new issue. 90% of the time when I shut down my PC, it does not get passed the Windows XP load screen, then pops back to the startup screen and cycles through a few time until I get the dos option of "starting from the last known" good setting or start normal. No matter which I choice, it continue in the cycle. The only way to fit the problem is when the PC goes into a scan disk for errors funtion, the scan happens and I get into my PC.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
DO you have a XP install CD? If so you can do a couple things:

1. Run sfc /scannow from a Command Prompt window.
2. Do a Repair Install.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
When I went through with "Repair Install" (following the link instructions), I received a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA just after I hit enter to go to Licence Agreement....

Edited by Jhazon, 05 July 2011 - 09:43 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This sounds like the hard drive is having problems and when chkdsk runs it clears it up until the next time.

I would go to the web site of the hard drive manufacturer and download their drive utility/diagnostic. This is normally a .ISO file that you use to create a bootable CD from. Do that then boot it and run the diagnostic, see if it finds any problems with the hard drive.

If you don't know the drive manufacture, you can install System Information for Windows (SIW). Run it, expand Storage Devices under the Hardware section. That will tell you the manufacturer and model number.

If it runs clean then I would download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Jhazon

Jhazon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
What about doing a System Restore? I know there is a recovery point that was previous to this issue happening?