Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Recovery Disks Acquisition Cost?

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I was just given a used Dell GX270 Desktop computer by my niece.
She bought it at an auction at the Bank at where she works.
As per legal procedure, of course the Hard Drive was wiped out.

I already have the link to where I can fill out the form for ordering the Dell Recovery Disks for my particular computer.
The big question is: How much will the Recovery Disks Cost?
I've read here and there that "If one QUALIFIES," one can get them for FREE.
Given that I am obviously NOT the original Owner of that computer, what are the odds that I'll be getting the Recovery Disks for FREE?
If I'm NOT likely to get the Recovery Disks for FREE, how much AM I likely to have to cough up?
I've seen the amount of $15.00 be tossed around here and there.
Is THAT what I can expect to pay? Does that sound about right?
And would that be TOTAL ... or is Shipping & Handling extra?

If it makes any difference, the OS that computer had before was Windows XP Professional.
So, of course, that's the OS that'll be on the Recovery Disks.

Advertisements

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Or does the fact that I am NOT the original Owner of that computer mean that I'd have to pay something much closer to the FULL cost of Windows XP Professional?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Dell recovery discs used to cost $19 but depending on the age of the system they may not be available any more. I've had to order mine from restoredisks.com recently. One for a Dell Dimension 1500 and a Toshiba Satellite A75-S209.

The Dell Optiplex GX270 is $26.99 with free shipping.

If you can get it form Dell that is the way to go but if not this is a valid alternative.

Chimiti

Chimiti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Thanks, Ztruker! :)
I'll keep these prices in mind.
Hopefully Dell still has the Recovery Disks that I need and I don't have to resort to the higher-priced RestoreDisks.com option.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If you find that you cannot obtain those disks and can neither install XP Pro using then the product key on the Dell Optiplex then another FREE alternative is Ubuntu
By coincidence someone else posted on another site with more or less the same question and I suggested Ubuntu with all its FREE software and he is overjoyed with it.
I use it in a dual boot with Vista on one of my machines and some people acutally prefer it to Windows in many respects..
IN CASE THIS IS OF INTEREST TO YOU HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.ubuntu.com/