Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Bootup

• Please log in to reply

chingwa76

chingwa76

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so my computer is not factory built yet it has been running smoothly up until yesterday. Now whenever I turn on the power everything appears to run smoothly except for the fact that the monitor is blank. I've already eliminated a faulty video card for it works in another computer, same with the monitor. I believed it to be a motherboard issue but my bios doesn't emit any warning beeps. I have a Gigabyte motherboard by the way with dual bios. The only oddity is that there are weird clicking noises coming from either the motherboard or harddrive. A somewhat, click-pause-click sound repeated over and over. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some helpful advice. Thanks.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Ok so you used a spare known working monitor and spare known working video card in the effected computer?

At this point you will want to try to find what piece of hardware is causing the problem. I think you have hardware problems because of your explanation.

First, i have to ask once again, can you see anything at all? If not, POST(power on self test) is not occuring correctly. Try this if you think you can handle taking off the case cover and fiddling with the inside :

Shut down the computer and pull the plug and the monitor cable. Wait 3 mins. take off the case cover and remove the ribbon cable and the power cable to the hard drive. Be careful in there, dont do any thing that will cause a short with wires and such. (If you dont feel comfortable doing this, its time to hire a proffessional.)

If you want to proceed, after removing cables to the hard drive, plug the monitor back in and the power plug and turn the computer back on and see if it posts. Get back to me.

Edited by djgotee, 30 May 2005 - 05:41 PM.

chingwa76

chingwa76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
POST is still not occuring and the clicky sounds continue. Does having a slave cd-rom drive to the hard drive affect POST in anyway?

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
let's concentrate on the clicking sound.

is the cover still off?

if so, listen carefully. let's see if you can identify the clicking device.

suspects:
1. hard drive
2. one of the fans
3. power supply - looks for sparks, ...
4. speaker
5. other

try to identify which device is noisy without touching anything.

chingwa76

chingwa76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
k, so after fiddling around with the motherboard i discovered that the sound is coming from the front panel with all the power indicators and stuff. When I remove the power to the speaker connector on the motherboard the sound immediately stops. So i'm guessin the motherboard is tryin to tell me somethin with the click pause click. Thx for the help thus far.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
new experience :tazz: never come accros this kinda ;)

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Is this a PCI or AGP video card? If AGP, make sure that the card is securely and ENTIRELY seated into the slot. Most AGP cards have a way of feeling and looking pretty good, but need to be pushed completely in. I'm not saying break your MB or card trying to do it, but it should click when completely in. If PCI, try changing the PCI slot that the card is in. Some MBs will only take certain cards in certain slots, as well as one of your slots may be or have gone faulty. BTW, you don't have to see anything in order for the POST to have been completed. The POST completion is signaled by one beep. Any more, any less, there are issues. A slave CD-ROM drive would not cause POST issues unless the jumper and cable settings on either drive or MB are incorrect. I doubt that is the issue unless you have recently installed/changed one or the other since this just happened a day or two ago.

Hope this helps.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
Greazy, no matter HOW certain you are, you might be wrong about that click when you push in that video-card. If he shoves the card in and he hears a crack instead of a click, you could be held responsible, I think. Because you said it is normal to click when you shove it in.

About that clicking from harddisk - Morse code if you ask me :tazz: ;) ;) :) (joking of course)

chingwa76

chingwa76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's an AGP video card and it's all the way in. Still not quite sure what a POST is but the clicking continues and the computer still won't startup. Should the single beep be coming from my speakers or the computer?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Have you changed anything in the BIOS lately..... you may need to clear the CMOS

You said you pull the speakers connections from PC and the clicking stopped?

Sounds like feedback...

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Should the single beep be coming from my speakers or the computer?

View Post

The Computer

chingwa76

chingwa76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The clicking is very prominent and defintely not feedback. I haven't touched the bios since I got the computer and not quite sure what CMOS is. Sorry if this is really vague but my problem is really vague in it of itself. Thanks though for the effort guys!

chingwa76

chingwa76

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so i did some more research and I would appreciate it if I could get some feedback in case i'm off on my research, please. My motherboard is a gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 and i believe it has an AMI bios or two. The clicking sounds, click pause click, are the beep codes for the bios and once again I believe that this code means that my computer has failed to POST and hardware testa has failed... what hardware testa is exactly i'm not sure of and would like to know. Thanks!

By the way, I found my information off this website bioscentral in case anyone wants to check it validity

Now that i think about it, i'm not definite that its 2 short beeps. In fact as I've written earlier it still sounds like beep pause beep continuously. So it might be the one short beep just spaced out. If anyone can tell me just how the bios beep codes should sound that'd probably help a ton.

Edited by chingwa76, 06 June 2005 - 02:10 AM.