Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wi-fi failure

• Please log in to reply

repeater

repeater

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My gateway laptop has begun to occasionally drop my wi-fi connection. It can be reestablished by either going to hibernate mode or restarting. this occurs about once a day. It is not the router as I have experienced this at my daughter's house. rebooting the router does not fix the problem. The connection goes to local local and internet

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
hello repeater and Welcome to G2G!

Have you tried uninstalling your wireless driver, rebooting your computer and then reinstalling your wireless driver? (make sure you download the driver before you uninstall it)

repeater

repeater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Are you referring to either

repeater

repeater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Are you referring to ATHEROS ARS B91 network adapteter or MARVELL YUKO 88E8040 PCI fast ethernet conection and if so where would I down load these from? Thank you for your help

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
you said above "drop my wi-fi connection" which ment to me your wireless card = ATHEROS ARS B91. Are you also having problems when your plugged into the ethernet port?

If you can give me the model of your laptop ( you listed it as a gateway I also need the model) and your operating system, XP, vista, 7, I can help you find the driver.

repeater

repeater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry I did not get back sooner. Gateway model SA6 Windows vista home premium

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
no need to be sorry, I'm not in a hurry :) anyway is there any other model number or anything on it? I can't find SA6 at Gateway's website:

http://support.gateway.com/product/

can you press Windows key + pause/break key and see what the system properties says?

repeater

repeater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Model is M7305U. I did locate Marvell Yukon web site where there is an update to the driver on my machine

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Marvell Yukon is your ethernet driver, you need ATHEROS ARS B91 drivers what's interesting is your laptop in not listed in the support download section of gateway's website to re-download the drivers. I'm looking to see what I can find and in the mean time maybe another user will pop in here with some ideas.

repeater

repeater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ran across web site "driver performer" that claims to update atheros drivers. any comment?

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
it costs you to do the actual upgrade with that program

try this first:

Posted ImageTo update drivers using Windows Update
You can check Windows Update anytime to see if it has found new drivers for your hardware. Then, you can install them if you choose. Here's how:

• Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Posted Image, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Update.‌ Posted Image If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • In the left pane, click Check for updates.
  • To see if updated drivers are available, click View available updates. Windows Update will list any updated drivers that are available for devices installed in your computer.
  • If updates are available, click the driver that you want to install, and then click Install. Posted Image If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

repeater

repeater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Was not able to see any updates that pertained to my problem. I did download the update for Marvell and have not had a drop since. That being said I will probably have an issue again. I will let you know if this fix holds. If not I will try the Atheros download. It only costs if you get the premium version (supposedly) I thank you again for your time and interest. Pete

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
you're welcome, thanks for updating me and please do come back if the problem continues.