Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Product Key?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am reformatting a hard drive and think I will need to reinstall Windows XP. I don't have the disk for it and I don't have a product key. It was already installed when I was given the computer. Is there anything I can do? Please help. Thanks.

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
if you havent reformatted the drive, you can still get the cd-key from that and then just obtain another disk and use your key

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I haven't reformatted it yet. Where do I find the product key? Thanks for your help.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Let me ask? when you do format the drive, what are you going to do without a restoration disk or windows XP CD?

By the way, i wont tell you how to retrieve your key until you have a satisfactory answer.

Virick214

Virick214

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
lol

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry...I don't get the joke. I have someone else's XP disk that I was going to use and I thought I could use that along with the product key from the WinXP that is on this computer that was handed-down to me. What else do I need? I don't know much about computers and I guess that's funny to some people. I was planning on reformatting following the instructions I was given by someone on this forum in another post. Thanks.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Theres no joke, Microsoft is extremely protective of thier XP operating system and if youve read the EULA contract that you should be doing before wanting to install thier product software, youd find that it is very restrictive. One product key for one computer ONLY!. And, using somone else's XP CD disk with your computers key is illegal and probably wont work anyhow. Call microsoft and tell them what you told this forum. Tell them the truth, they might be able to work it out with you by sending you another disk less expensive than if you bought it over the counter.

If you want to recover your key an easy way :

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

BUT USE THIS ONLY to tell MS your key. (you have to use this software in windows.

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Soxrok suggested that I use another disk with my product key. I assumed it would work.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
You can retreieve your cd-key with the program that here: http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

as long as you have purchased the cd-key and you are not using it illegally and for only one computer and the same computer then it should be fine, just make sure it is the same type of windows xp disk - OEM or upgrade, professional or home :tazz:

victoria_v23

victoria_v23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you Soxrok for all your help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

One product key for one computer ONLY!.  And, using somone else's  XP CD disk with your computers key is illegal and probably wont work anyhow.

View Post

djgotee:

What soxrok suggested was NOT illegal.. It is NOT the cd but the license that matters (Certificate of Authentication)..

As long as you are using the key code that was used to install XP on your system ORIGINALLY, then it makes no difference which XP cd you use.. Unless of course it is pirated to begin with!!

vicotria_v23:

The person you purchased the system from was legally obligated to either a: remove all traces of Windows XP from the system before giving it to you or, b) give you the cd and COA for that system at the time of purchase.. Suggest you contact them and have them give you what is rightfully yours!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 30 May 2005 - 07:48 PM.

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Thanks Murray, i misunderstood.

Edited by djgotee, 30 May 2005 - 07:49 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
dj:

Not a problem.. :tazz:

Murray

tim.s

tim.s

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Try this link that magic jelly bean used to make his/her program.

http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q328874

Jolen98

Jolen98

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i know of a way to get u one if interestd