Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus/Trojan Suspected...

• Please log in to reply

dubie

dubie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
First let me state that I'm not technical at all, but have done all I have been advised to do by my Internet Service Provider and from researching on the internet; no luck at all.
Approximately 5 weeks ago I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials from a site believed to be Microsoft and then the computer became unresponsive, very slow, showed old web pages, web pages began fading in and out, and my speaker settings have been changed to headphones which is not correct.
I did more than 3 system restores as well; no change.
I have Windows XP version 2002, service pack 3.
When going to the control panel, security center and clicking on anti-virus it states there are more than one anti virus running and scanning, but I do not know what anti virus program this would be or where to look to find out.
A friend said he removed most of microsoft security essentials and that's all I know.
I should also state that in Jan. of 2011 I bought a laptop and this friend put some information on it for me.
I did not like the laptop and tried to remove the information, but couldn't even with the tech support so I was assured I could return the laptop and all personal information would be removed, but now I wonder about that.
I have McAfee anti-virus with my internet service provider, but it won't download. It continually states download unsuccessful. The tech support person at my internet service provider stated I have a virus/trojan and told me to call the manufacturer of this computer. The warranty is long expired on this computer.
I have 2 browsers installed on the computer; Firefox and Internet Explorer 8.
Also, under user accounts something called Windows Card Space shows alongside user accounts. I have never seen this before.
In my gmail account under details I continually see 2 IP addresses. When copying and pasting one it states it is a US Internet Service Provider with other detail; I don't know why this would be in details.
The computer is basically non-functional continually stating this program is not responding. It seems to be much worse in the early am hours.
I was able to download McAfee free scan and it simply states I do not have web protection, but firewall is on and anti-virus is on also.
Help is very much appreciated and needed in the simplest of terms please.
Thank You Very Much and Hope I can get back on to read any responses.

Advertisements

underscor3

underscor3

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
If you think you have a virus, I suggest posting a new thread on the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums. Also, be sure to check this topic before you make a new post. It will help our volunteers assist you as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Edited by underscor3, 26 June 2011 - 09:27 PM.