Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Found trojans and PC now very slow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
OK. I'll do some research and get back with reply tomorrow. Stay tuned :)

Advertisements

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi Africanlion,

We are going to run System File Checker, to make sure all of your protected files are not corrupt. The scan will automatically replace any corrupt files that it finds.

Click Start
Select Run
At the prompt type sfc /scannow Please note that there is a single space between sfc and /scannow.

Typing this will start the program, and a box should appear telling you how much longer the process should take.

Sometimes the scan will prompt you for your Windows instalation disc upon starting the scan. If this happens please make sure that you can view protected files:
  • My Computer
  • Tools
  • Folder Options
  • View
  • "Uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.
Then rerun the scan. If this still asks you to put in your windows installation CD, and you do not have the CD (If you bought it preinstalled) post back for more tips, otherwise enter Windows CD.

Once the scan is complete:

Check your Windows Updates! After using the File Protection Service, you might need to reapply some updates.

Please reboot, and let me know if anything has changed.

Also, please re-hide the protected files:
  • My Computer
  • Tools
  • Folder Options
  • View
  • "Check" Hide protected operating system files.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
maliprog i am typing sfc /scannow and running it, a black dialogue box appears and very promptly disappears on every occasion and doesnt appear to be doing anything. Tried like 5 times and made sure there is a space between sfc and /scannow

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Let's see what error we have there...

• Click Start and type cmd into the Start/Search box,
  • right-click cmd.exe in the list above and select Run as Administrator.
  • You should see Command prompt. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter on keyboard
  • Write down error messages if there is any or let it run and get back with results.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Its done and says Windows ResourceProtection did not find any integrity violations

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hi Africanlion,

There is no infection on your system so it must be something else. Please open new topic in Windows Vista™ and Windows 7™.

Give them a link to this topic and tell them that your are clean from viruses. Also note that your system is working fine in Safe Mode... this should help them to resolve your problem.

I'll leave this topic open until problem is gone.

Africanlion

Africanlion

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanka maliprog for the assistance. You have the patience of a saint, god bless you :)

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Glad to be helpful. Hope you'll solve your problem!

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.