Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 entire hard drive copy

• Please log in to reply

Beano52

Beano52

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I purchased a used netbook with Windows 7 starter edition and a couple misc. programs.

My intention with this was to completely wipe the hard drive and install Linux. I have not used Linux before but would like to play arround with it.

My QUESTION is: Is it possible to completely copy the hard drive as it is now, with Windows 7, and reinstall Windows 7 if I decide it was a mistake to play arround with Linux.

If I use Windows back up and restore, and I wipe the hard drive, install Linux, change my mind wanting to go back to Windows 7, is this possible?

Also, the netbook is an Asus and I have no disks, manuals etc.

Thanks for any help !

Mark

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
You could make a disk image backup to an external device - that would keep your windows 7 installation for you. I have not yet restored a backup from the disk image, but I bet there are plenty of tutorials out there if you search them out.

Have you thought about using another hard drive for this experiment? Drives are pretty cheap these days.

poggie45

poggie45

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The other morning I went to my computer to do some work & it stated there was 21 updates to be installed. I have Windows 7. I began the update process. When it was complete, I got the following notice in the lower right hand corner of my computer -- Windows 7, Build 7600, This copy of Windows is not geniune. I bought this computer new from Tiger Direct. Any suggestions.

Beano52

Beano52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

You could make a disk image backup to an external device - that would keep your windows 7 installation for you. I have not yet restored a backup from the disk image, but I bet there are plenty of tutorials out there if you search them out.

Have you thought about using another hard drive for this experiment? Drives are pretty cheap these days.

Thanks, I will google that. I am aware of the Umbutu (sp?) that can run "alongside" Windows but would sorta like to go with an Linux only just to see if I like it. I'll delve a little deeper in my search but was mainly wanting the ability to reverse the Linux switch back to the good Windows 7.

Beano52

Beano52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
How about something like THIS??

Thanks!

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
@Beano52
That covers the backup part, but I was talking about the restore part, if you wanted to come back to windows 7.

I *think* you would still need the windows 7 disk to restore the image backup file, and you say you don't have one. That could be a problem.

http://windows.micro...em-image-backup

Just copying the files over to an external drive is certainly not going to do the job, can you borrow a windows 7 CD from someone perhaps?

I strongly recommend doing the research first before you erase anything, hence installing linux on a fresh hard drive would eliminate the need to do any backups at all.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

The other morning I went to my computer to do some work & it stated there was 21 updates to be installed. I have Windows 7. I began the update process. When it was complete, I got the following notice in the lower right hand corner of my computer -- Windows 7, Build 7600, This copy of Windows is not geniune. I bought this computer new from Tiger Direct. Any suggestions.

I suggest that you start a new thread, as many more people will see your question and be able to offer some help. Perhaps it's time to give Tiger Direct a call, they should be able to help you out.

Beano52

Beano52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Or maybe THIS??

I think i just needed the proper verbage of "disk image" to google up some results.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
From the article:

If you can't access Control Panel, you can restore your computer using a Windows installation disc or a system repair disc (if you have one).

I see that you can restore from a system repair disc, so you can proceed, obviously you will have to make a system repair disc, FIRST, before you wipe out your win 7 installation, and you probably want to test it out by booting to it before the wipe.
http://windows.micro...tem-repair-disc

Personally I would choose the 2nd hard drive method, because you should never depend upon an unverified backup.

Good luck!