Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Building my first PC :)

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey everyone,

Just a few questions in regards to the PC I'm looking to build. The build I have so far is as follows:

Motherboard:MSI 890GXM-G65 (Retail, FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, VGA, Sound, µATX)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (Boxed, OPGA, "Thuban", Black Edition)
Ram: GeIL 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit (Light-Retail, GE38GB1333C7DC, EVO ONE)
Primary HDD: Apacer 120GB SSD (boot drive, already own this disk)
Secondary HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM 1Tb
Graphics Card: Radeon 5670 Passive Cooled / Radeon 6750 Passive Cooled / Radeon 6770 Passive Cooled
Case: ???
Power Supply: Hyper 580 Watts (already own it, PSU has 2 fans in it which seemed quite nice?)
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster BX2450 (1920x1080)
Keyboard: Logitech G15 (old one, already own it)
Mouse: Logitech G500 (already own it)

I already own some of the parts I want to use, but a few things have been very confusing for me and I don't know what to do.

I have a budget for up to around 700-800 euro maybe, (residing in Sweden at the moment). The main purpose for this computer is some gaming, nothing too heavy (final fantasy 11, starcraft 2, americas army online, some newer shooters probably too). I'd like my computer to be somewhat silent, so the passive cooled graphics cards seem like a good option. I'm currently writing this off my dads computer which is a similar build and works quite well (even in starcraft 2)

There are a few questions I have.

1. What graphics card should I go for out of those 3? I'm not too sure about the difference in them. I know the 6770 won't be available in Sweden until august so I'd have to wait, but I think the mobo processor will run FFXI(final fantasy 11) without much trouble.

2. What case would you suggest? I had my eyes on a cooler master centurion 2, but I'm not sure how good these are.. I see a lot of computers have a PSU slot on the bottom now... Is this good? I'd like my computer to be silent like I said above.

3. Hard drive: this will be just for storage really as I'll be using the SSD for booting. 7200 seems faster, but 5600 more silent/eco friendly? What would be a good option here?

I think this is everything I'd like to ask for now... If I think of anything else, I'll try to edit it in later on :) Thanks in advance.

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Some things to consider:

Buy a reliable graphics card and power supply. From my experience these two components are the ones that die the quickest. Since this is for a gaming computer, graphics card is very important and I suggest you get the best possible one in your budget but do some research and read reviews and make sure the card is reliable and stable. The cards mentioned above all should support the games you listed but if you want a better gaming experience and want to play on high settings, get the most up-to-date and best specced one.

The computer case really isn't that important in your build, it is mainly for looks/design. I suggest getting a case that does not come with a power supply unless the brand is very reputable. I bought a case a few years back and the power supply that came with it died within a few months. Make sure your power supply has enough wattage to support all your components. There are PSU calculators out there(Newegg has one) where you type in all ur hardware and it gives a recommended wattage. Once again, read reviews and buy a GOOD RELIABLE PSU.

As for the storage drive, 5400 rpm should not be any issue for storage. You will barely notice a difference since you are not opening installed programs and such. If you are feeling eco-friendly and want to save some cash, get the 5400 rpm.

Good luck on your build

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks very much for the reply Arf,

I think the graphics cards I listed are the ones I want to go for. My dad said the compatibility with the mother board gfx chip is the best if it sticks to an ATI chipset. I am not too sure however that the case is unimportant. Since my gfx card will be passive cooling, a good air flow should be important? I think the power supply that I have at the moment will do, apparently Hiper was a really good make for PSUs and I will see how I get on with it since I already have it.

Would anyone have more recommendations in regards to the GFX cards and/or Case?

Thanks again,

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,709 posts

Consider changing the Mobo to a Socket AM3+ which would allow you to upgrade later to the next release of AMD CPUs. Socket AM3+ is backward compatible with AM3 Socket CPUs. the best upgrade would be the MSI 990FXA-GD65 ATX

> http://www.newegg.co...D130%2D269%2DTS

Info, >

Info, 990FX AM3+ Motherboard reviews, > http://www.futuremar...s_gigabyte_msi/

CPU. For games a six core is a waste of money, consider one of these, put your money elsewhere.

Info, note the video cards used, bottom of page, and then go to the gaming performance page.

> http://www.anandtech...d-performance/1

CPU choice,
> http://www.newegg.co...D103%2D727%2DTS

Case. This is a great case. You Can replace the rear fan with a PWM so the Mobo can control the exhaust.

> http://www.newegg.co...5E11-129-066-TS

When parts have been selected it is very important that the PSU be reviewed to ensure that it is capable of delivering enough AMPS for the video card.

Edited by iammykyl, 01 July 2011 - 12:04 AM.