Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hello everyone

• Please log in to reply

lah2969

lah2969

• Pip
  • 0 posts
I'm having a problem with booting up my computer. Everytime i turn it on it says, "windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll." then it tells me to re-install but i don't have a disk to re-install from. what can i do?

Advertisements

sidneyalford

sidneyalford

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Machines supplied without a disk normally have a recovery partition on the hard drive, this is normally reached by pressing a function key during boot. Many Packard Bell machines use F8, bad choice as it is also the Windows safe mode. Keep flicking it rapidly during boot and it should give you recovery options.

bretwt91

bretwt91

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Your file "<windows root>\system32\hal.dll." is missing. So
to boot up your window , first of all boot your system in
safe mode and then restore your system. After restoring, normally
starts your computer. It will definitely works.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Careful depending on the recovery partition it may format your system causing you to lose all your data.