Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media players crashing, when starting a video.

• Please log in to reply

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
I only stated that VLC cannot play encrypted BD discs since it doesn't have access to an "authorized" player key. That isn't DRM bypass, that is inability to play something due to DRM.

Plus, Meltac cannot play BD discs since all players, including the BD one, keep crashing, not because VLC can't play it.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
had a reading fail......missread some connections in previous posts. i thought your attempts on the NVidia file were getting to a point of getting around the DRM protections.

probably because of these statements:

Edit: VLC can read BD discs just fine.
Edit 2: well, it can, but only when the disc is not DRMed. If the disc is DRMed you probably need some tricks.

in conjunction with the other bits about DRM

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
The "DRM" word seems to attract lots of attention...

Bypassing DRM isn't that simple. To do that you need to alter the Windows kernel, since the DRM mechanism is built-in.
That said how broken it is: you apparently cannot play "protected" DVDs on Linux without breaking the "protection".
I hate DRM with a passion.

BTW the NVIDIA file is about Direct3D or something similar. Hope it won't hurt to knock it out.

Edited by devper94, 20 July 2011 - 07:51 AM.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
@devper94 Renaming them, didn't seem to help, it actually only made VLC not work properly.

for meltac, what does "by other means" mean exactly?

Downloaded illegally.

Edited by Meltac, 21 July 2011 - 09:48 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Downloaded illegally.

We can not assist with them at all.
I will ask did this issue start right after one of these downloads?
If so you may have a hidden infection which this forum cannot help you with. Once responded with the above answer I can point you to the malware forum for assistance with checking the system out.
Though you may have a AV, Malware and Spyware protection installed, up to date and working that does not guarantee you are protected especially downloading illegal files which in most instances contain hidden infections which are not caught.
The choice is yours to do so but at this point I believe we are dealing with a infection and not a software or hardware issue.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
The problem isn't that I can't watch my downloaded movies, the problem is that my media players are not working at all. The problem happened a long time after I STOPPED downloading movies, so I am positive that it has nothing to do with an infection. My media players (except for VLC) crash immediately when I try to watch any movie-file, and that is what I need help with.

Edited by Meltac, 21 July 2011 - 10:30 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The problem isn't that I can't watch my downloaded movies, the problem is that my media players are not working at all.

OK this is not clear.
Are you saying you can watch downloaded movies but nothing played in the drive?

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

The problem isn't that I can't watch my downloaded movies, the problem is that my media players are not working at all.

OK this is not clear.
Are you saying you can watch downloaded movies but nothing played in the drive?

Sorry, for not being clear. I was just clarifying that even though some of the movies are illegally downloaded, that is not all that relevant to the problem. None of my media players (again, except for VLC) can play any form for videos, whether they are downloaded or being played from an bought DVD.

Edited by Meltac, 21 July 2011 - 10:56 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and read the tutorial that shows how to do SFC or System File Checker and running in a Elevated Command Prompt in Vista and Win7.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Did it three times, but it couldn't find anything.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok so we have checked everything as far as hardware and software and nothing is showing up.
Other then either a Repair Installation, Parallel Installation or a complete format and fresh install the only other option is a hidden infection.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
For the Repair Installation I need a Win 7 disc, right? Because I don't have one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Repair or Parallel installation requires the disc to work.
Borrowing one form someone will work as long as it is a OEM version first and then it also has to be the exact version that is installed.
Home, Media or Ultimate
32 or 64 bit version

Then we can continue. You should have a sticker on the system with the reg key and the version of the OS that was originally installed.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
before you start doing that, i strongly suggest you actually get a clean bill of health from the malware forum. you've admitted to downloading illegal movies on this computer, from whatever source. just because you "haven't downloaded" anything recently doesn't mean you're not still suffering an infection.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree 100% with Dsenette. Trojans and time bombs can hide without detection. Everything else has checked out ok so we have to look at the possibility regardless of the length of time it has been.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here