Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media players crashing, when starting a video.

• Please log in to reply

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Ok, I will look into. Thank you all so much for your time and effort, much appreciated!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Add a link to this topic in your first post in your malware topic so the tech there can see what has been done and doesn't try duplicating steps.
If you want to add a link here to your malware topic we can keep a eye on it also. :)

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
A thread has been made, and again, thank you all for your time and patience.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you and we will monitor it till the end and see if anything is present. If not then we will have to see what else we can find.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
With Essexboy's help, I'm giving this one a clean bill of health as far as malware is concerned.

I did however find something in one of the logs that might be of interest to you. The following folder exists on the machine:

C:\ProgramData\Win7codecs

However, it doesn't appear to be in the installed software list.

Could his players be crashing because they're still expecting it to be there?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope those are default codecs that Win7 has.
I've received no notification from your malware tech so I'm not sure what he saw in your OT report yet.
Send him a pm asking him to message me with his thoughts please and I will start from his observation. :)

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
I was the malware tech. Unless you mean Essexboy? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you as I saw you stated you would inform of the entry in OT you suspected. :)

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ahh.. sadly though, it appears I was wrong as you pointed out. Glad I learned about that folder in the meantime though. :)

I'm going through the OTS log again just in case there's something that stands out, but other than a tiny DivX anomaly that I don't think is really more than circumstantial, I'm not seeing anything.

DivXUpdate hkey=HKLM key=SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run -> -> File not found

That makes me think it wasn't uninstalled cleanly, but honestly I'm way out of my depth with codecs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Add\Remove programs
Make sure you click the little box in the upper left corner that says show all updates.
Scroll down and find all the divx entries and uninstall each until they are all gone.
Then go HERE and click on the button on the right that says Free Download.

Advertisements

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Done.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it show Divx updates?
Was the new download installed and if so did it resolve the issue?

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Please follow these instructions:

Open VLC.
Click Tools - Preferences - Input and Codecs - check Use system codecs if available - Save
Restart VLC and try to play a movie that makes other players crash and see if VLC crashes.

Meltac

Meltac

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Did it show Divx updates?
Was the new download installed and if so did it resolve the issue?

Nope, I couldn't find any DivX updates, but the download went fine, but WMP is still crashing.

Please follow these instructions:

Open VLC.
Click Tools - Preferences - Input and Codecs - check Use system codecs if available - Save
Restart VLC and try to play a movie that makes other players crash and see if VLC crashes.

Hm, it doesn't.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point I feel like the issue is in the OS and we need to take this in that direction and not keep beating on the players or the codecs.
You may have stated before but I don't remember, what OS are you running? Xp, Vista or Win7?