Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Assigning sound effects

• Please log in to reply

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I'm a bit puzzled....

This relates to my Windows Vista laptop, although I think it is the same for my windows XP and Windows 7 PCs as well.

Assigning different or new sounds to events, such as incoming mail, or battery level warnings.

I downloaded some .wav sounds and put them in the C: > Windows > Media file (which, as I'm sure you know, is where all the Windows sound effects are stored).

I then went to Control Panel > Sound > Sound tab
In the "Sound Scheme" section, "My alarms" I highlighted the windows sound I wished to alter, then selected a sound from the list, browsed the choices in the Media folder and selected a new .wav to apply.

Having done that I restarted the PC and the new sound was assigned (the first change was to my incoming email). It worked perfectly!

So, with THAT success under my belt, I decided my laptop could do with much louder and more noticeable warning sounds for both low and critical battery levels, as the current warnings were useless being too quiet, measly little whimpers that are too easily missed.
I selected a marvellous loud siren sound that I'd stored in the Media folder previously and applied it. I then restarted the laptop and waited for the battery level to drop....

.... NOTHING!
No noise when the battery level reached the first "low" level and nothing when the battery reached the "critical" level either!

So, I went through exactly the same procedure (as I had done for the "incoming mail" warning that worked perfectly), but each time the new battery levels warnings haven't been assigned.
Why not? What am I doing wrong?
Any ideas Geeks?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi sorry to hear of the problems with the sounds for alarms
The low battery level alarm is controlled from within the Power Options Properties, On XP you can go to Start>Control Panel>Power Options and hit the tab labelled Alarms. Ensure there is a tick/checkmark in the box "Notification" accessed via the Alarm Action button.

The procedure is fairly similar on Vista
Let us know how you go
Regards
paws

Wrinkly Pete

Wrinkly Pete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hi sorry to hear of the problems with the sounds for alarms
The low battery level alarm is controlled from within the Power Options Properties, On XP you can go to Start>Control Panel>Power Options and hit the tab labelled Alarms. Ensure there is a tick/checkmark in the box "Notification" accessed via the Alarm Action button.

The procedure is fairly similar on Vista
Let us know how you go
Regards
paws

Thanks.
I'm afraid not paws.
The Power Options in Vista are different.

In Control Panel, Power Options you get the chance to "Personalise" and then select "Sounds", which brings you right back to where I was.... in "Sounds".

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm sure I'm in the right place (as I got the "Incoming Mail" warning set to my own sound ok).
The puzzle is WHY doesn't the same work for the low and critical battery selections. I'm guessing it is because it is particular to laptops and not desktop PCs, but I'm not sure HOW or WHY this is so.