Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Items fell into Keyboard

• Please log in to reply

trys2playguitar

trys2playguitar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was sitting at my computer Im'ing, and all of a sudden :tazz: my Puka shell necklace broke and the shells went all into the keyboard. The shells will not come out and I was trying to find a safe way to pop the keys out but I don't want to do anything with out being sure that it will not harm anything. Any Suggestions? ;)

(I have a desktop and the necklace had sentimental value)

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, underneath the keys on the keyboard will be a membrane. This should prevent anything from dropping through any further.

I suggest you unplug the keyboard & take it apart - there should be a load of screws in the underside of the keyboard. Remove them & keep them safe.
After that the keyboard should split apart in 2 halves.
Inside it will be comprised of layers containing a PCB board & membrane and other bits. Most keyboards are reasonably easy to dismantle & reassemble but make sure you make a note of which way round each layer goes.

The easiest way to do it normally is to take it apart from the underside working towards the front where the keys are. ie place the keyboard upside down & remove each section until you just have the top part of the shell with the keys in left. The membrane should be the last layer that you need to remove.

trys2playguitar

trys2playguitar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
O.k. Thank you soooo much. Now, to repair the necklace will be a much harder task.... :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

O.k. Thank you soooo much. Now, to repair the necklace will be a much harder task.... :tazz:

View Post

Yeah, can't help you there I'm afraid!