Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC takes over 40 minutes to boot into BIOS

• Please log in to reply

ssuuee

ssuuee

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Working on a PC that takes over 30 - 40 minutes to just boot to BIOS - then a snails pace in Bios. If I wait long enough it will boot into Windows and runs great. Scans show multiple viruses. I have removed the HD and scanned for Viruses. I tried putting a different HD in and seeing what happens to the boot time. Same! I have swapped RAM out - No Change. Loaded BIOS Defaults - No change.

Just getting the machine to show the F12 - F2 options is about 3-5 minutes. Any ideas?

It is an older Gateway MDW500
Intel Motherboard D865GLC

Thanks

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
unplug USB drives, devices see if that fixes it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
In addition to what gorham has suggested a couple of suggestions for you to check;
1: Try a new CMOS battery.
2: Try a new IDE ribbon.
3: Try a known good power supply, make sure it is as powerful as the stock 300W or better.
4: Try reseating the CPU, be sure to clean off the old thermal paste and only apply the correct amount of fresh TIM, see the tutorial by Digerati @ http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ this will also give you a chance to make sure that the HS is free of heat trapping dust.
5: As a last resort try updating the BIOS http://www.intel.com...pboards/d865glc