Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't book - black screen - cursor blinking on left hand

• Please log in to reply

chrisyts

chrisyts

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had this problem before when I was running Vista. I have a HP Media Center computer and put in a new SSD 120G Hard drive and Windows 7. The D Drive is where the data is stored and is also a new hard drive (not SSD) but not put in at the same time. This morning computer was unresponsive so I turned it off and turned it back on. The HP Invent screen comes up followed by the Intel info at the top, then a blinking cursor. The screen is black. I can hear the hard drive spinning or maybe it is computer noise, and then goes silent. The cursor moves down on the left hand side about 2 inches and continues to blink at me. I did have the problem before when I was running Vista on this computer and a regular C drive but given enough time it would start to boot. But this time it looks like it is not going to boot.

Do I need a new mother board or a new computer? I read in one of the threads about running chkdsk but am scared to try that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not a techie person and scared of computers but willing to try some good advice.

Problem has been solved and my computer is up and running.

Edited by chrisyts, 28 June 2011 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

hendaz

hendaz

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
The black screen means your computer cannot find an operating system. Does the hard drive you put in have the operating system installed?

chrisyts

chrisyts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Hendaz. I went out and checked the system configuration and saw that it was trying to access the right hard drives and the correct hard drives were being targeted. I then started to ESC out and the computer started to boot and is now running just fine. Not sure what will happen if it goes down again and I have to reboot. I talked to my computer person and he said that it might have been caused by Windows doing an update.

Thanks for your help.