Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD - Crash Dump Analysis follows

• Please log in to reply

Mancey

Mancey

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, I would be really grateful for your help. I keep getting a blue screen of death, today I googled the information shown on it which led me to your site.

After reading a topic on your site I have obtained a Crash Dump Analysis from WhoCrashed which is pasted below.

By way of background, a while back we were getting no display on the monitor so we tried moving the monitor connection to the onboard grapics slot and this seemed to work... so from this we deduced that there was a problem with our graphics card. Then My nephew replaced the graphics card with an old one of his. Judging by the info in the crash dump analysis maybe this is what caused the BSOD.
I tried the google search for driver updates mentioned in the conclusion but this is where I got stuck - I'm not really sure what to look for - are you able to help me with this?

I saw in an older post you helped someone with a similar prob so am very hopeful! Many thanks

System Information
computer name: D8QB583J
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2145492992 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2045931520

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 6/28/2011 9:10:43 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini062811-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x2446BE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83F0925, 0xFFFFFFFFAF5C2704, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

Conclusion

1 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Compatible Windows 2000 Display driver, Version 270.61 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi Mancey and Welcome -
First check in Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.
Now look at the left side of the list that shows the basic Devices. Are there any Yellow or Red question marks ? or exclaination marks ! showing.
For Nvidia or similar Display adapters they are near the top of the list.
Please let us know if anything is there.

Thank You -

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...it will scan your computer and give you the right drivers for your video card...

Mancey

Mancey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello

I have checked the Device manager List as you requested, I clisked on 'Display Adaptors' and NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT was listed but I could not see any question or exclamation marks.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you go to the site like I asked...if not go there and download the video driver to your desktop...
install the new driver

Mancey

Mancey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there yes I have done as you said, this was on 7th July and since then no BSOD as yet.

Mancey

Mancey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Happyrock, do you think the problem is solved?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hi Mancy :)
Happyrock may or may not be back due to some issues but I will step in here just in case.
If you have installed the driver from the site he instructed you to I would give it a couple more days and then let us know if your BSOD's happen again or if they continue to stay away. At that point I'm sure he would agree that the issue seems to be resolved.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Hi Mancy :unsure:
Happyrock may or may not be back due to some issues but I will step in here just in case.
If you have installed the driver from the site he instructed you to I would give it a couple more days and then let us know if your BSOD's happen again or if they continue to stay away. At that point I'm sure he would agree that the issue seems to be resolved.

yep... :)

Mancey

Mancey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Many thanks for your help, and I will let you know if I have any more problems. :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

Mancey

Mancey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there... BSOD is back! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

Mancey

Mancey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
As requested, the report from WhoCrashed pasted below.

Yours hopefully...

System Information (local)

computer name: D8QB583J
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00GHz Intel586, level: 6
2 logical processors, active mask: 3
RAM: 2145492992 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2044284928

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 7/11/2011 4:46:41 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071111-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24432E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83E0925, 0xFFFFFFFFAFC95704, 0x0)
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 7/6/2011 3:28:46 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070611-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x8D32C)
Bugcheck code: 0x100000EA (0xFFFFFFFF8A796020, 0xFFFFFFFF89A3CF60, 0xFFFFFFFFB84DFCBC, 0x1)
Error: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M

On Wed 7/6/2011 3:23:07 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini070611-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x2446BE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8480925, 0xFFFFFFFFAE9C5234, 0x0)

On Tue 6/28/2011 9:10:43 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini062811-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83F0925, 0xFFFFFFFFAF5C2704, 0x0)

Conclusion

4 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 4 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First all the crashes are due to the Nvidia driver or hardware. Below are the two different bug checks from the crashes.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
(Click to consult the online MSDN article.)
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

Both indicate a driver issue and the first indicates a possible bios update needed.
I myself am leaning toward the driver as being the issue.

Since you apparently have the newest driver installed per Happyrocks instructions earlier I am thinking we may have a video card hardware error. How old is the video card and is it a add on or is it built onboard on the motherboard?