Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti-virus expired, Icons are white pages

• Please log in to reply

JessieD88

JessieD88

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,I really need some help. I have very basic computer knowledge and this is what is happening with my computer.

The anti-virus has expired and I think I picked up a virus downloading a program that I thought would allow me to stream online videos. When the program wouldn't do anything I uninstalled it. Now my desktop icons look like white pages with tiny icons on them and when I try to run programs my computer gives me an error message saying: Windows cannot open this file, and it needs to know what file created it. I've tried downloading anti-virus programs and it allows me to, but when I try to run them I get the same error message. Is there any help for my computer or is it toast? Please help! Thanks.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Extract and merge this reg file to get your exe association back at least.

JessieD88

JessieD88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok I hit extract all files, but it is still doing the error message after I extracted the file. Is that right? I'm sorry, I really do have just basic knowledge.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hello JessieD88 .... Welcome to GeeksToGo,, Look around and enjoy the forums. If you need any help just post in the appropriate forum and we will be glad to help. We are all volunteers so please understand we are not always here and it may take some time to respond to your post. :) :unsure: :yes:

You need to be sure you are clean of virus/malware before we continue.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
OK, you should have a file named xp_exe_fix.reg or xp_exe_fix if you have file extensions disabled. Right click it and click Merge or just double click it. What happens?

JessieD88

JessieD88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It tells me that windows cannot open the file and it needs to know the program that created it. And then it asks what I want to do.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Do what 123Runner posted. Good luck!

JessieD88

JessieD88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thnaks skifxr, and 123Runner. I'm going to have to do the post about not running malware tools :/