Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I Use an Encrypted Disk on a different PC ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Hi,

I want to ship my HDD overseas to a friend. It has some sensitive data & I want to Protect that data using one of the 2 products called “Disk Password Protection” OR “Cryptic Disk” from Exlade.

http://www.exlade.com/home

With Disk Partition Protection, I am able to Protect it by using a Password for booting it & another password for opening each Partition.

My question is, would my friend be able to unlock that hard drive on an entirely different PC with different configuration ?

Wouldn’t it create a problem even to detect it because the bios is different ?

The other product Cryptic Disk protects the HDD by encrypting the data on each partition. If I used that software would my friend be able to Unlock it on a different PC ?

OR

Does anyone have a better idea & better software for what I want to do ?

Thank You.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
BIOS has nothing to do with it.

This entry from the FAQ might be of interest because the concept is the same:

Can I use Cryptic Disk for encrypting data on portable drives?

Absolutely. You can encrypt data on any drives supported by Windows, including portable drives (Flash memory cards, USB drives, etc). Besides, you can store encrypted containers on portable drives. If you need to work with an encrypted portable disk on any computer without installing Cryptic Disk, you can use its portable version. If you use encryption of a physical partition on a portable drive, you will need a separate unencrypted partition on it to install the portable version of the program. Therefore, this portable drive will have two areas – an encrypted one containing your encrypted data and a regular one used for storing program files and any other information.

Without this of course and without a copy of the program, you can't decrypt it anyway.

georgetok

georgetok

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

BIOS has nothing to do with it.

This entry from the FAQ might be of interest because the concept is the same:

Can I use Cryptic Disk for encrypting data on portable drives?

Absolutely. You can encrypt data on any drives supported by Windows, including portable drives (Flash memory cards, USB drives, etc). Besides, you can store encrypted containers on portable drives. If you need to work with an encrypted portable disk on any computer without installing Cryptic Disk, you can use its portable version. If you use encryption of a physical partition on a portable drive, you will need a separate unencrypted partition on it to install the portable version of the program. Therefore, this portable drive will have two areas – an encrypted one containing your encrypted data and a regular one used for storing program files and any other information.

Without this of course and without a copy of the program, you can't decrypt it anyway.

Neil,

I am talking about something entirely different.

I am talking about a HDD with OD on it.

And there are two passwords. One for booting the HDD & second one for opening the encrypted container or encrypted partitions.

I wrote to their support twice but they haven't replied.

So I have found another software which encrypts an entire 2.0 TB HDD in seconds. I haven't tried it yet.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you mean OS? if so, then the decryption portion of the software would have to be separate. he'd have to mount the HD as a slave (external or internal), decrypt it, then mount it as the primary to boot into the OS....then, of course, depending on the OS, hope that it boots.

XP and up WILL NOT just slide into another hardware platform and boot up all nice and pretty. if you take an HD with XP (or newer) on it and just slap it into another case with different hardware it WILL NOT boot correctly.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
as far as a software to try TrueCrypt is great + free.