Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update blocked but no virus found

• Please log in to reply

Jan1959

Jan1959

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi,
I have a problem with my Windows Updates, the automatic setting is turned off in the security centre and I cannot get it back to on.
I havw tried to connect manually and although the update website appears, I get the message 'website has incountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to use'.
I have scanned with MBAM, Avast, SuperSpyware and ESET but all are clear. I also tried Kasperksy on-line but it crashed the laptop half way through loading. I have a minidump file for this.
I have also tried the Microsoft Fix it but I get an error message saying that the software is out of date. I also tried the advanced method and downloaded it to a different PC but when I try to run it I get a message stating that the Windows Powershell not compatable and that I should unistall and reinstall it. I haven't tried that yet as I don't want to start fiddling too much.
The problem is on an Windows XP Service Pack 3 laptop, t is running quite slowly but it is old. I have full internet access on this machine.

Any advice would be gratefully received, I lost a PC to Ramnit last week and I can't afford to loose another.

Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this to Remove and Reinstall of Automatic Updates (Not Vista or Windows 7)

This batch file actually removes and reinstalls the Automatic Update system.

What does it do?
The file stops the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and the Automatic Update service, then removes the Automatic Update system, the logs and downloaded software files. It then reinstalls the automatic update system, starts the services and then removes the cookies for the automatic updates system and force it to look for changes.

Copy the text below in between the lines to a new notepad document and save it as aureinstall.cmd. Double click on the file to run it.
------------------------------------below this line
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /u wuaueng.dll /s
del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
del /f /s /q %windir%\windowsupdate.log
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
net start bits
net start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

------------------------------------above this line

The most common reason why these scripts do not work is that to save a file as a cmd file, you need to change the setting in the Save as box to All File Types. You can then enter the full file name. Otherwise Windows will save it as "reset.cmd.txt" which will not do anything but open notepad.

Jan1959

Jan1959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Thank you so much, it has worked perfectly and my system is now up to date.
You are a star! :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
been called a lot of things in my life ...but never a star... :unsure:
and your welcome... :)