Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Issue - Comes up as incorrect

• Please log in to reply

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi although I keep an eye on the forums it's has been a while since I have needed some help.

I have a 4 month old ASUS Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium and decided to:

"Turn OFF Windows 7 Password Protection / Automatically logon to Windows 7 without Entering any User name or Password" to quote from the action I was following.

I carried out the following and keyed in my usual password (and yes I was very careful to ensure it was correct) but whenever I boot the laptop I get an incorrect password message for UpdatusUser despite putting in the correct one?

In the run menu type control userpasswords2.
Just press WIN + R to get the RUN menu.
The user accounts windows will now open up.
Look for the option saying ” Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer ” and uncheck this option and press “OK”.
Now a windows opens up asking you to enter the current password you use to log in to Windows 7. Enter the password and confirm. Done!.
From now on when you boot to Windows you will not be asked or prompted to enter the user name and password. This can also save a couple of seconds while starting Windows.[/i][/b]

I then tried using both OphCrack LiveCD and Off Line NT Password & Registry Editor software programs to reset or clear the password to no avail.

The last thing I tried was F8 during the boot process and used the Repair Your Computer option to try and restore the system to an earlier date. After trying several restore points/dates I gave up as they all appeared to run through the usual restoring files etc and then come up finished but then I got the message it didn't complete successfully, files and seeting were not changed. Details: an unspecified error occurred during system restore. (0x8000ffff)

I'm not sure what else I can do? HELP

Advertisements

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Sorry I should have said it is a 64bit system.

ISGPeter

ISGPeter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
PLEASE REMOVE THIS POST

After a couple more attempts at the system restore and a couple of reboots it looks like I have solved the problem.

Sorry for troubling you.

Peter