Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need suggestions for speeding up [upgrades] photo editing

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is the system running now?

Advertisements

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well it is better, but do I need to order a new Power supply?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We are checking into the readings because in reality with your 12 volt rail being that low your system should not even run.
I don't think that is possible to have a reading that low and your system still boot up.
I am going to continue to see what else we can find.

ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says
Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry to be such a pain, but I don't see a plus sign...I have attached a screen shot of what i have. When i right click I don't see an advanced tab.

Attached Thumbnails

• crop.png

Edited by larbaz3, 30 June 2011 - 04:41 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we can move on to the next check.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I didn't see any difference. I only had Cobian, Avira, Malwarebytes and FBackup starting up.

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I need to explain that my startup speed is not the problem. It is when I am opening and working large files or numbers of photos.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If I read your specs right you have 4 gigs of memory correct?
Your free space on your C drive is just below 20% so your not in jeopardy of low disk space.
Your CPU seems to be enough to do what you are wanting to do.
The only thing I see is maybe programs other then what you are working with that may be running in the back ground.

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, but what did you mean when you said Well first thing I notice is your +12 volt rail is like non existence. This is a major issue for sure.
The system summary report should work

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Well first thing I notice is your +12 volt rail is like non existence. This is a major issue for sure.

+12 volt rail is showing very low reading which normally would indicate a failing power supply.

The system summary report should work

This was in reference to your comment about there not being a quick report option in the Everest instructions.

Advertisements

larbaz3

larbaz3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, thanks for all your help. Will be ordering a new power supply at very least.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Apart from any hardware failures you may have, I think you could do with at least 8GB of ram for Photoshop when manipulating large images

Browse the following article and see if it helps to optimise your system.

> http://kb2.adobe.com...4/kb404439.html

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would have to agree with the memory suggestion as that may help with the photoshop.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
While I don't see anything "bad" in your AutoRuns.txt, it seems you have tons of stuff loading, including MBAM, Avira and Windows Defender. It shows several graphics and image backup programs (or elements of them) including, My Memories Suite, Photoshop, Easy Photo, Honest Technology, Macrium Reflect, Cobian Backup.

And toolbars including Conduit Toolbar, LastPass Toolbar, MSN/Bing Toolbar, Windows Live Toolbar.

Other things running include Seagate DiskWizard, Seagate scheduler, Acronis and Paragon Partition Manager, 7-zip, Google Updater.

That's just what I saw with a quick scan. Some is legitimate but it seems some is just extra and probably could be uninstalled.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
By uninstalled I hope you mean just stopped from auto starting? :)
I would have to agree with your assessment Digerati as the programs you mentioned do not need to auto start with the exception and only if MBAM is the paid version.
Also running Windows Defender and Avira is not good since they both are real time scanners and a Anti Virus program.
The toolbars I completely agree and they are a big slowdown with the internet.

Seagate DiskWizard, Seagate scheduler, Acronis and Paragon Partition Manager, 7-zip, Google Updater.

These I see no reason to auto start as they are only used when needed and just taking up resources running when not in use.

larbaz3 these can be stopped from auto starting and very well may help with your speed problem. I would suggest we try stopping them and seeing if your speed increases then before purchasing a PSU.