Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shuts down during startup

• Please log in to reply

cyrawhite

cyrawhite

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
I have an EMachine t5254 with Windows Vista

today when we turned it on, it shutdown during startup, each time we turn it on it goes a little farther, but then shuts down. I've tried Safe Mode and it does the same thing, my main concern is to atleast get my pictures off of the computer. If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it.
I went into BIOS to chk the CPU and and the fan and everything looks fine. It doesn't shutdown while i'm in there

Edited by cyrawhite, 29 June 2011 - 06:20 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
So it boots far enough to let you select Safe Mode, but it still fails? My guess at this point, since it works fine in the BIOS Setup Menu, is that you have a driver issue with a hardware device, possibly the graphics. Note BIOS Setup Menu uses very basic, generic graphics drivers at low resolutions.

To recover your data, your best bet is to pull that hard drive and install it into an enclosure or drive docking station and attach it to another computer, then copy or files. Or install it into another computer as a secondary (not boot) drive, then copy your files.

cyrawhite

cyrawhite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I've gotten as far as going to restore check point, but when it's almost done it shuts off, before it even finishes.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
This could be heat, RAM, or some other default. Preserving your data should be your priority.