Allow me to elaborate. See... just about a week ago, I was attempting to install a game in a manner of which I probably shouldn't have been trying to do. I won't go into details about it. The end result was failure, and I ditched the effort. However, I do believe the game gave me a little present. Just yesterday, I noticed that my laptop is bogged down. I'm not entirely sure as to why. A thorough investigation of my computer, and my processes tab of my task manager, shows that a file by the name of "svchost.exe" is taking a little more memory that I'd like.
See, I have at this precise moment in time... 5 system svchost.exe's, 5 Local svchost.exe's, and 3 Network svchost.exe's running. Right now, one of the system svchost.exe's is taking 40,000+ KBs. When I'm not paying attention to it, it climbs to 300,000+. At which point I have no choice other than to end it's process.
With a little research, I find that there IS indeed a virus of some sort that takes on the same name as this system file. Of course, I'm thinking I have this virus. Because I heard it's normal to have about 6 of these system files running at the same time, but 13? That's a little overkill.
Unfortunately for me, my AVG is unable to detect any issues. However, I did use this program on this site called the "OTL". I glanced over the reports that it has created. I won't pretend to know exactly what I'm looking at... but... the line...
"Description = Faulting application svchost.exe" adds to my suspicion that this file is not what it's pretending to be.
Another issue that I'm currently having, is that when I click on a link. For example, when I was researching my delimma via google, any link I'd click on, I'd get redirected to quite random sites. Sometimes a random search engine, and other times... well... a car dealership or something of the sort.
Another big issue I'm having... is that when I would open google, or even this site here. My internet explorer would tell me multiple times that "internet explorer could not open this web page". And my mozilla Firefox won't even work... AT ALL! (I got lucky that I decided to keep both)
The conclusion that I had come to, was to factory restore the PC. However, I don't have any disks. On top of that, the built in restoration program won't function.
I would be very grateful if anyone were to assist me in this... peculiar situation.
And even if you decide not to help. I thank you for reading.
P.S. I've attached the two files that were created by the OTL program that I referenced in the main body of text. The line that I referenced is from the "Extras.Txt" file. I hope it helps in anyway whatsoever.