Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora - possible simple fix

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

croftrock

croftrock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Here's how I killed aurora. I hope it works for you.

First I ran my spyware programs (ad aware + trojan remover). I know that Aurora survives them but I wanted to get clean as possible first. Then before rebooting I went to C/Windows and found Nail.exe. Then I copied a random legitimate harmless exe file and renamed it Nail1.exe.

Then I renamed Nail.exe to Nailx.exe and very quickly renamed Nail1.exe to Nail.exe. I then deleted the Nailx.exe file.

It took a few tries as the malware replaces Nail.exe almost instantly if you try to remove it. I got it though after a couple of tries.

Aurora now doesn't work as it is trying to open a tiny harmless exe. But it thinks it is there and doesn't replace it..

Not perfect I know as it is still there but as a quick fix it has suited me.

EDIT:
We have a fine advise for this problem, it works just great. Please wait your turn. Most of the time there is more than just this infections

Edited by g2i2r4, 03 June 2005 - 05:09 AM.

Advertisements