Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant download anything, please help

• Please log in to reply

undun40cal

undun40cal

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
I recently removed, "Speedbits - Download Accelerator Plus" and now i have no idea how to get Windows to be my default downloader again. As of right now, when i try to download something, it does nothing. Theres no dialog box asking me where i want to save the file to or anythng for that matter. Someone please help me :tazz:

Edited by undun40cal, 30 May 2005 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
If you have the time navagate to:

http://www.generatio...uf/downfile.htm

youll porbably find your solution there>

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Im still looking into this but have you looked in your internet options yet to see if all is default?

also, take a look at this:

http://www.sawtoothd...topic.php?t=121

Edited by djgotee, 30 May 2005 - 06:41 PM.

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have been to both the sites posted here, but to no avail. I even went to Microsoft, but nothing has turned up yet. My internet options are set to default also. I have read a few posts in this forum about IE being in the add/remove programs menu. I have no such thing on my pc. It seems that even though i'm using IE, it is not in my system as a registered program, which may be the reason it is not in the add/remove program menu. What should i do now and is it windows thats acting up or IE?

Edited by undun40cal, 01 June 2005 - 03:00 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

download, install, and run the above...seems I recall DAP installs something in the winsock chain...normally, it removes with uninstall, but perhaps it is stuck

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml

download, install, and run the above...seems I recall DAP installs something in the winsock chain...normally, it removes with uninstall, but perhaps it is stuck

View Post

I wish i could download PERIOD. When i click on a download link, nothing happens at all. Most web pages automatically initialize the download saying, "initializing download or download starting automatically, click here if download doesnt start." I do everything i'm needed to do to download, but nothing happens all. I dont get an error message or a dialog box. Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
use a different pc, copy to floppy or cd

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Is there another way of trying to fix this prob? I dont have access to any other Pc but this one. Do you think there is an internal way of taking care of this besides system recovery? I had to clear my rollback points and disable it altogether because of trojan removal processes. I guess in the process, my default download agent was removed (ADWARE) and windows never regained control of the downloads. Kazaa was also removed too with a number of other adware and spyware filled programs but they wer not removed the conventional way. i didnt go to Contol panel/add/remove software and remove them myself, they were removed by one of the numerous anti spyware/trojan/virus programs that i have on this comp. Is it possible that although the D.A.P software has been removed, it still controls the downloads?

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Heres a somewhat less technical solution... have someonedburn u a cd/dvd with such files asyou need an maybe more, then use that once they mail it to youl.. or you couldbuy offof ebay such a solution.... ifu want i mihgt consider doingthat once i get my own desktop up an runnin again, of cours that solution requires trusitngus with your address :tazz:

;)

Peace be with all of You

m2zt

m2zt

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
does ur computer stop responding after u clicked the download link??

Advertisements

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

does ur computer stop responding after u clicked the download link??

View Post

No, my computer doesnt do anything. it responds but doesnt download.

m2zt

m2zt

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
try going to
tools, internet options, programs, manage add ons and see if u have pbblocker helper class and disable that

that might help u

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

try going to
tools, internet options, programs, manage add ons and see if u have pbblocker helper class and disable that

that might help u

View Post

There is no refrence to pbblocker in my add-ons. I did notice that if i want to do an online virus/spyware/maliware scan, i can. i think most online virus scans download the needed components to run an online scan to my hdd. That works fine and dandy but It seems that when i try to download things myself, nothing happens.

later on that day........

Problem resolved (for now).

I figured out a way to get my downloads again. I went to the "Search" in the start menu and looked for DAP. When i found a file from that software, i went to the folder it was housed in and found the uninstaller for DAP. On a chance, i used the uninstaller and now i can download again with the default windows downloader. I guess when DAP was removed by my Antivirus program, it didnt remove all the main files, just some. Luckily it worked. I hope nobody else gets in this kind of trouble. :tazz:

Edited by undun40cal, 01 June 2005 - 05:50 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
glad to hear it....just so I can sleep tonight, is this sp1 or sp2?

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

glad to hear it....just so I can sleep tonight, is this sp1 or sp2?

View Post

sp2