Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limited or No Connectivity XP SP3

• Please log in to reply

indy31

indy31

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Alrighty, this has been frustrating me all week.

I got married last Saturday (18th) and went on the Honeymoon on the 20th. That morning, I am on my desktop computer updating some podcasts etc, internet connection is working fine. I returned from the honeymoon on the 27th, and I have been getting the 'Limited or No Connectivity' warning from my computer.

I've followed the steps I can find on the web (flush DNS, ipconfig, etc) as well as one of those shady looking programs. There is a router, but I have been testing this going straight from the modem to the computer. The modem works, as the laptop computer I am typing this note is connected hardwired through that. I am at a loss of ideas on what more to do to

My network card is a Marvell Yukon 88e8056 PCI-Gigabit Ethernet Controller. Device Manager says the device is working fine.

Any help that can be provided would be much appreciated

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
In IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings, then uncheck all boxes and OK. Close IE and restart IE.

In FireFox, Tools, Options, Advanced, Settings, check No Proxy then OK. Close Firefox and restart Firefox.

In Chrome, Wrench, Options, Under the Hood, Change Proxy Settings, uncheck all boxes, OK.

Any better? If so follow the guidelines in the top post of the Malware Removal forum
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html
and post your logs. If not:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt. (Vista or Win 7 => right click and Run As Administrator) Type with an Enter after each line in the code box:

ipconfig  /flushdns

netsh  winsock  reset  catalog

netsh  int  ip  reset  reset.log

(I use two spaces in the code box so you will be sure to see where 1 space goes.)

Reboot and test. If it still doesn't work:

1. Click "Start," click "Control Panel," click "Network and Internet Connections," and then click "Network Connections."
2. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure (the one you use to connect to the Internet), and then click Properties.
3. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", and then click "Properties."

4. Click "Use the following DNS server addresses," and then type 8.8.8.8 in the Preferred DNS server and 4.2.2.1 in the Alternate DNS server boxes.

5. Click "OK"

Reboot and test. If it still doesn't work:

(Start) Right click on My Computer, select Manage then Device Manager. Find the Network Adapters and click on the + in front to open up the sub entries. Right click on each sun-entry under Network Adapters and Uninstall. (Doesn't hurt to write down the names in case you need to download the drivers from the PC Maker's website. Normally you don't but with malware you never know.) Reboot and test.

On the back of the router is a RESET button (You may need an unbent paperclip to push it). Hold it down for 30 seconds.

Cable modems sometimes lock in a single device and will not allow others to connect. Usually if you power cycle them they will accept the new device but with some you actually have to talk to the cable company (or have the router mimic the MAC of the device that works.)

Ron